Pressure Fermentation/Strong Sulphur Smell

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's worrying about the WHC as I've acquired a sachet of 4 or 5 of them and I'm wondering whether it's worth risking those batches. I think some of them, at least, are kveiks. I might do some small, sample batches.
You're not the only one to have reservations about these.
I've had a look at some different Kveiks and they all seem to have a best temp range of 30-40. Can I ferment these lower say 25-26 albeit might take abit longer to finish. I think my equipment would be happy maintaining 25 degrees, 30+ could be asking alot I'm thinking. Winter project needs to be a fermentation chamber of some sort.

Yes you can do 2 things either pitch at your desired temp or pitch at a higher temp say 38c and let it freefall in temp.
If you do not have temp control you can wrap the FV with a blanket etc and it will slowly drop in temp and will generally be done in 2 to 3 days at the higher temps.
The benefit for newbies is that this Yeast does not need a Diacetyl rest so less chance of diacetyl off flavours.

I've had a look at some different Kveiks and they all seem to have a best temp range of 30-40. Can I ferment these lower say 25-26 albeit might take abit longer to finish. I think my equipment would be happy maintaining 25 degrees, 30+ could be asking alot I'm thinking. Winter project needs to be a fermentation chamber of some sort.
Not necessarily. Why not plan your projects according to the season: brew with kveik or saison or another high temperature yeast when it's hot, brew with, say, Verdant IPA which has a good range up to 25C when it's warm, spring and autumn for ordinary yeasts with a best range of 16-20 and something like W-34/70 and other lager yeasts in the winter. Building up a good stash of dried yeasts over a period of time is relatively cheap especially if, like me, you harvest the yeast for three or four brews. Much cheaper than converting a fridge and buying an external controller.

That's exactly what I do I do not have the facility for full temp control but have perfected a work around over the years.
I have 2 places in my house/garage that give me constant temps. The house will be at ambient temp and the garage @ 5 degrees lower I then select my yeast on the temps that are constant at the time.
I can use Kveik anytime as I generally pitch very high and let it freefall sometimes with blankets to keep it up there.
I use Novolager for lagers in the garage when it is around 17/18c then Beoir for Ales and bitter.
I do use other yeasts but just have to work around them and always go for the middle ground of temp so it could go up a couple of degrees or drop a couple and still be in range.
I will agree it is not bang on but with experience you can be pretty accurate with your temps but in a ideal world a temp fridge control is where it is at.

Latest posts

Back