IPA using Voss ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did once, it had a prominent orange flavor

That could be interesting and the hops used will all have a citric aspect to their flavour. I think I will give it a go. The flavour profile shown on the Lallemand script certainly does not give the impression of over powering ester production.

Last edited:
Yes or no to fermenting an IPA with Voss?
Why?
If you want to ferment hot, use Lutra or another neutral kviek. Or Mango Madness or even W-34/70 (which is surprisingly heat tolerant), but not Voss.
IPA is supposed to showcase the hops, not the yeast.

That could be interesting and the hops used will all have a citric aspect to their flavour. I think I will give it a go. The flavour profile shown on the Lallemand script certainly does not give the impression of over powering ester production.
I fermented at 35C. it was finished in four days, the orange taste was a bit overpowering though. Not used it since.

Why?
If you want to ferment hot, use Lutra or another neutral kviek. Or Mango Madness or even W-34/70 (which is surprisingly heat tolerant), but not Voss.
IPA is supposed to showcase the hops, not the yeast.

To be honest the hops, Columbus, Cascade,Mosaic and Citra will well out do any amount of esters produced by Voss looking at its profile. I was more thinking about a reason I should not use, poor clearing or conditioning time for example. Fortunately none of the replies indicate I should not use it.
The reason I want to use it is I am limited as I have run into problems with my stored Verdant IPA and I don't want to use Windsor or Notty. I have a pack of Voss so why not. I will not be fermenting at high temperature BUT at this time of year down here the ground water temp is high so cooling wort is difficult to get much below 27-30C with my chillers. I think I will be able to pitch it in the fridge at 30C and cool to 25C over the course of a couple of hours which wave a bit of messing around waiting.
If you want the fruity flavours ferment it at 35c if you want a normal ish ipa ferment at 19c which is kind of a waste of kviek
Why is it a waste? Same price as any other Lallemand premier series yeast? Just had another scan of their script and the actually reccomend it for IPA ?

With those hops Voss will only add to them as I said earlier if you are doing strong fruity IPA's/Pales Voss is one of the yeasts to use, the higher the temps the more fruity it is. I do not use it in Ales/Bitters or Lagers.
Go for it so many Voss haters but that is probably because they are not using it on the right brews.
Plus unless you use it you will never know

With those hops Voss will only add to them as I said earlier if you are doing strong fruity IPA's/Pales Voss is one of the yeasts to use, the higher the temps the more fruity it is. I do not use it in Ales/Bitters or Lagers.
Go for it so many Voss haters but that is probably because they are not using it on the right brews.
Plus unless you use it you will never know
Is probably the correct answer 🤣 I am going to keep the temperature down to the low end of its range though.
I would not dream of using it for any English style beer except perhaps Fullers ESB which it should work well in. I have used Verdant IPA for many a bitter though with good results, in fact it is my go to for a lot of my bitters and pale ales.

Is probably the correct answer 🤣 I am going to keep the temperature down to the low end of its range though.
I would not dream of using it for any English style beer except perhaps Fullers ESB which it should work well in. I have used Verdant IPA for many a bitter though with good results, in fact it is my go to for a lot of my bitters and pale ales.
You know the risks so go for it. It might turn out the best beer you've ever made, I'm the last person to discourage experiment. Never used Verdant IPA. I had thought it was a low attenuator which leaves the beer a bit sweet, but a new look at the spec tells me otherwise. I've got a pack lurking in the fridge. What is it you like so much about it?

You know the risks so go for it. It might turn out the best beer you've ever made, I'm the last person to discourage experiment. Never used Verdant IPA. I had thought it was a low attenuator which leaves the beer a bit sweet, but a new look at the spec tells me otherwise. I've got a pack lurking in the fridge. What is it you like so much about it?
With regard to Verdant IPA I would say try it it is very good and very easy to top crop a nice load of yeast for another brew. It is actually a good attenuator. I have used it for IPA, Bitter, Pale ale, Dark mild and even Scottish style ales and have to say never been disappointed with the outcome. It is also has good flocculation but do be careful as it produces a massive head in the fermenter!

You'll probably realise by now, it's easily my favourite yeast. Really easy to use. Goes bang instantly (often within an hour). Turns over very quickly with no horrid esters. I've even accidentally run it at 25c and it didn't care.

I wouldn't want a fast, warm fermentation off-gassing hop volatiles.

Do not take this personally but I am calling BS on volatile esters being blown off by fermentation... the late hops have been subjected to 10mins of boiling my scientific reasoning says any volatile esters are going to be gone before the yeast hits the wort in terms of significance... be different in a dry hop situ possibly and even then I would say only possibly. I do not dry hop my beers.

Last edited:
With regard to Verdant IPA I would say try it it is very good and very easy to top crop a nice load of yeast for another brew. It is actually a good attenuator. I have used it for IPA, Bitter, Pale ale, Dark mild and even Scottish style ales and have to say never been disappointed with the outcome. It is also has good flocculation but do be careful as it produces a massive head in the fermenter!
Thank you, I've got a 1045 best bitter in the kettle as we speak. It's a single hop- Harlequin- and the bittering charge was steeped in a big bag overnight in the mash before getting chucked into the boil. I was going to use my favorite ale yeast (CML ALE), but I'm going to give the Verdant an outing instead, it sounds just the ticket.

Last edited:
Yes or no to fermenting an IPA with Voss?
I'd look to use High Voltage, have done a west coast with this and it was good as its super clean.

Just be wary of over pitching or not using nutrients with it as this can result in malnutrition for any of the high temp yeasts and resulting in an astringency.

Back