IPA using Voss ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stir? Really?

I never have.
Why not? Very top fermenting I want to get all the yeast down into the beer then make a top crop when it come back up again to use next time. Sam Smiths Yorkshire square frementation vessels are mixed regularly during fermentation.

Hmm. This would be worth a poll. 🤔

I make sure the yeast has started and then come back 7 days later.

I guess I turn up periodically, turn the pump on, or even give it a bit of a whizz, but I never have.

Do you think the yeast will miss a bit?

Edit, now with punctuation.

Last edited:
Hmm. This would be worth a poll. 🤔

I make sure the yeast has started and then come back 7 days later.

I guess I turn periodically turn the pump on, or even give it a bit of a whizz, but I never have.

Do you think the yeast will miss a bit?
I think each to their own method. I use Verdant IPA for most of my bitter,pale ale, IPA and ESB brews. It forms a huge head in the fermenter a bit like the yeast used by Sam Smiths and I stir it in every day. I usually take a crop of yeast on the second day and fermentation is usually finished on the 4 or 5th day and I will take anything that is on the surface.

I am contemplating making a Fullers style ESB to dump onto the lees of the IPA that the Voss is fermenting. Fullers ESB is said to exhibit tasting notes of marmalade could be a good experiment? I like Fullers lovely drop so it is.

Hello again😁

Just following up my IPA brew with Voss yeast. I fermented the wort with the Voss rehydrated as recommended and then read that it can actually be better just to sprinkle the dried yeast onto the surface of the wort... Doh! The fermentation was done at 26C which turned out to be no faster than Verdant at 20 C . The real advantage was that I pitched the yeast at nearly 30C in a cooling fridge and that saved a lot of time cooling the wort as the ground water is about 20C now.
Anyway the beer has turned out really quite tastey and clean. I possibly do get a bit of bitter orange however the hopping of the beer is really based on citrisy varieties si I am not reading too much into that. I am no expert on US style IPA beers but if I had bought the stuff I am drinking in a pub I would have no hesitation in buying another it is nice golden, crystal clear and not too bitter.
I have gone on to brew an English bitter on the yeast cake ... could be interesting 😁

edit
Recipe for anybody interested
25L in fermenter
Pale Malt 2.5kg 45.5%
Pilsner Malt 2.5kg 45.5%
CaraMunich III 0.5kg 9%
Water treatment for English bitter
Mash in at 63C for 10'
then 65C for 50'
then 68C for 30' and Mash out 75C for 10'
90 minute boil
Columbus 15g
Cascade 15g 60'

Mosaic 25g
Citra 25g 10'

Brewhouse eff 75%
OG 1.051
FG 1.012
IBU 49
EBC 10
ABV 5.1%

Last edited:
As I have said many times Voss can/not always throw a Orange taste and to be honest if you are using it in a IPA it will compliments the hop flavours.
I think the bad press from some brewers is because they do not use the yeast in the correct beers and then get a orange flavour that does not compliment the style.
All yeast generally are meant for a style of beers but some have tried it in the wrong beers just like if you used SO4 in a Lager it would not be true to style but somebody may like it too.
Voss would be good on any Bitter that uses hops with a tinge of orange like First Gold etc

As I have said many times Voss can/not always throw a Orange taste and to be honest if you are using it in a IPA it will compliments the hop flavours.
I think the bad press from some brewers is because they do not use the yeast in the correct beers and then get a orange flavour that does not compliment the style.
All yeast generally are meant for a style of beers but some have tried it in the wrong beers just like if you used SO4 in a Lager it would not be true to style but somebody may like it too.
Voss would be good on any Bitter that uses hops with a tinge of orange like First Gold etc
I don't think the "bad press from some brewers" is anything to do with getting orange in the wrong style. There's a definite "twang" to most beers made with Voss in particular which isn't orange but may be something to do with stressed yeast, and personally I don't like what Voss and Hornindal do to hop flavours in many cases. It's not an all or nothing thing, and individual perceptions may vary, but personally I don't care for Voss and Hornindal in anything other than their home turf of farmhousey beers. There's usually a better option.

If you're looking for orange flavours in a bitter, go to source and just use 1845 dregs or Imperial Pub.

I have a bitter conditioning now which was fermented using the yeast cake from the previous IPA brew be interesting to see how it turns out. I will have a small influence of the IPA hops but not much any twang or orange notes should be evidentyou would think?

Used Voss before…went through a kveik phase a couple of years ago when it seemed it was the ‘in yeast’ so tried most of them available at the time. All beers turned out fine, but for me all kveik beers have a sort of common flavour running through them, a sort of underlying funkiness. Not unpleasant, but sometimes not desirable. Seem to remember definitely getting a citrous orange thing from Voss, but not overpowering and happened to compliment the hops I was using for that brew so turned out well. Not used any kveik strains for a while now.

As for flavours, well everyone perceives different flavour from the same thing. I know people who get strong coconut from Sabro. I hardly get any coconut from Sabro, but do get a kind of tanginess, even a slight sourness from it so I always know if Sabro is in a beer and if a lot of Sabro has been used can overpower the beer for me.

As for hop aromatics blowing out of the air lock, this is definitely a thing in my experience and I tend to dry hop after fermentation and after dumping trub as trub absorbs alot of hop flavour too. I try to avoid trub and hops occupying the same space at the same time. I don’t think you lose all hop flavours from this, just some of the notes….most hop flavour and aromatics cover a wide spectrum of different flavour profiles and some are harder to keep hold of than others. For my regular hoppy beers I have now arrived at a specific process that delivers the hop profile I want for that beer and always match yeast to hops flavour profiles. but sometimes use a neutral yeast if I don't want any yeast character. Yeast is just an ingredient like any other and choose it to suit the beer you’re brewing as you would with any other ingredient.

Good luck with the Voss ipa. I’m sure it will turn out fine.

Back