Curry...!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick user upper for dinner
IMG_1963.jpeg

Help...?...?

I have some Patak's curry paste, it's disappointing those pastes used to be so good but now while there is some heat there is so little flavour.

What do I need to add to get some taste into it? I'm not even determined to try for something ' true to type' I just what flavorful.

Are there any premix pastes/packs that you can recomend?

Thanks All.

Help...?...?

I have some Patak's curry paste, it's disappointing those pastes used to be so good but now while there is some heat there is so little flavour.

What do I need to add to get some taste into it? I'm not even determined to try for something ' true to type' I just what flavorful.

Thanks All.
I always have a standby jar of generic curry powder for such situations.

Garlic & ginger paste, caramelised onions, a little sugar to offset the acid in the paste.

Personally I’d buy some decent garam masala, mild madras curry powder, turmeric Kashmiri chili and forget the jar completely.

Garlic & ginger paste, caramelised onions, a little sugar to offset the acid in the paste.

Personally I’d buy some decent garam masala, mild madras curry powder, turmeric Kashmiri chili and forget the jar completely.
I'll second that. Most international food shops will have a good range of spices. Lots of great "no base gravy" on YouTube to choose from. I wish I learned these years ago.

I keep Pataks...tandoori, tikka and kashmiri pastes as some restaurants use these three in their tikka recipes. Otherwise it's from scratch for the main curry.
I've not tried but East at Home (?) get great reviews.

just to add if you can get some fresh root ginger it really improves any curry paste. I’m not saying paste is bad but their is something about the flavour of fresh ginger that paste just doesn’t have.

Help...?...?

Thanks All.
Fern’s curry pastes are great but not easy to find. Google for a supplier.

Back