Grainfather G40

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nooooooo 😂

Money isn't an issue and I already have too many ingredients to use. I just struggle to justify it to myself. It's definitely a "want" purchase rather than a "need" purchase.

Defo. I think it will disappoint.
Then the price will play on your mind.

Looks don't taste any better in the glass!

It’s a really good bit of kit…. You won’t regret buying one and other than a brewtools or speidal, there isn’t much better to ‘upgrade’ to. For me they just work- repeatable once you’ve dialled it in, solid build and no need for extras to get its full potential. I also love the size of grain bill it will take - you can brew some big beers in it!

Defo. I think it will disappoint.
Then the price will play on your mind.

Looks don't taste any better in the glass!

You underestimate how shallow I am 😂

I don't think the price will bother me after the fact. I've not really got anything else I need to be spending my money on. I suppose it boils down to whether I feel it is worth getting one for the coolness/fun factor.

@Jordang @Tombo have you got yours connected to the Brewfather app? Not really wanting to move my recipes or use a new recipe builder, although the Grainfather app loooks alright.

You underestimate how shallow I am 😂

I don't think the price will bother me after the fact. I've not really got anything else I need to be spending my money on. I suppose it boils down to whether I feel it is worth getting one for the coolness/fun factor.

@Jordang @Tombo have you got yours connected to the Brewfather app? Not really wanting to move my recipes or use a new recipe builder, although the Grainfather app loooks alright.
I use mine with the grainfather app but cross reference recipes with brewfather just for peace of mind.

Just done a wee bit of reading around this. No proper integration with Brewfather app. That could be a deal breaker for me.
Screenshot_20240713-212425-145.png

I use Brewfather to design my recipes but I like to be hands on and mostly I do single temp mashes so I don’t rely on the Grainfather to run my brewday… If I’m doing step mashing I just do the mash schedule on the Grainfather app and it’s great for that. But otherwise the Grainfather app is pretty crappy imo.

I use Brewfather to design my recipes but I like to be hands on and mostly I do single temp mashes so I don’t rely on the Grainfather to run my brewday… If I’m doing step mashing I just do the mash schedule on the Grainfather app and it’s great for that. But otherwise the Grainfather app is pretty crappy imo.

Cheers for that. I like the hands-on approach too tbh. It does look as though you can between the two apps easily enough.

Read a few posts on Reddit about people having pump issues. User error, or have you found the pump fiddly? One of the reasons I went down the Digiboil route before was to keep my brew day as streamlined and stress free as possible. Pumps are handy, but another thing to go wrong, right?

Read a few posts on Reddit about people having pump issues. User error, or have you found the pump fiddly? One of the reasons I went down the Digiboil route before was to keep my brew day as streamlined and stress free as possible. Pumps are handy, but another thing to go wrong, right?

I have recently reviewed a few decisions I made a few years ago. They still hold good. Tbh I was surprised. But didn't feel the need to change it, pleased that it had/was working the way I wanted.

I can't see what you are going to gain. But it you just want one.. Get iiit 😁

Yeah, that's the thing. I know my beer won't get any better with it, and I have my process absolutely nailed. I feel like I'm just wanting to buy for the sake of it 🤣
Of course your beer will be better - G40 is TEN more than G30 so it must be an upgrade. It's like having 11 on a volume control ;)

Cheers for that. I like the hands-on approach too tbh. It does look as though you can between the two apps easily enough.

In 40ish brews on my G40 I've had a blocked pump once and that was probably my fault. Easy enough to dismount and clean out if needed.

I use a grain bag in the grain basket, for ease of cleaning more than anything else. Hops go straight in.

When they were first released there were some issues with the bottom filter not seating correctly but I think they've corrected the design since. I only had that problem and now just ensure it's pushed in tight.

I use a grain bag in the grain basket, for ease of cleaning more than anything else. Hops go straight in.

When they were first released there were some issues with the bottom filter not seating correctly but I think they've corrected the design since. I only had that problem and now just ensure it's pushed in tight.

I can live with a bag for grain. I do same in my Digiboil for the same reason.

Any stuck sparges?

Sorry, I'm bombarding you with questions, but it's great to hear from someone who's used one as much as you have.

It’s great for either overnight mash and/or setting the timer so it heats the water up whilst you’re having your toast. I often prep everything the night before then, when I get into the brew shed in the morning, my water is at the correct temp so I just transfer the sparge water out of the G40 and mash in.

I design my recipes in Brewfather and import them into the GF app for brew day. My first few brews I ran the timers in both apps but now just do it all in the GF one and put the measurements into the batch in Brewfather.

Latest posts

Back