Banksy.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So any old mural is OK but acclaimed art isn't. Got it đź‘Ť

Are you saying the murals are not art?

The person who did the one in my post was asked by the pub owner to paint it he had permission from the town council, Banksy doesn't have permission and does it to promote his business as i said earlier if he painted pictures for charities then allowed them to auction them i wouldn't mind so much.

Last edited:
I have yet to see Banksy do any real art apart from stencils whereas the commissioned murals have been done by people that can paint and have permission to do them

Banksy donates funds from anti-arms artwork sale​

The anonymous street artist Banksy has donated ÂŁ205,000 from the sale of a protest piece to anti-arms campaigners.
The artwork, Civilian Drone Strike, was on display at the Art the Arms Fair art exhibition in east London.
It depicts drones destroying a cartoon image of a house, while a child and her dog look on in distress.
The exhibition was held alongside the world's largest arms fair, the Defence and Security Equipment International - both exhibitions closed on Friday.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41292903

Covid: Banksy painting for NHS charity sells for ÂŁ14.4m

@Bosch You beat me to it.

The point is, art is in the eye of the beholder. And to be fair it didn't get bid up to 14.4million if nobody liked it.

There is some art I don't like, it's doesn't make them less of an artist. A criminal or a fraud. It's just not to my taste.

@Bosch You beat me to it.

The point is, art is in the eye of the beholder. And to be fair it didn't get bid up to 14.4million if nobody liked it.

There is some art I don't like, it's doesn't make them less of an artist. A criminal or a fraud. It's just not to my taste.
Agreed, art is subjective, like taste.

This thread is like an episode of Alan Partridge

Last edited:
Personally I really like Banksy’s work. It’s witty and/or thought provoking. The guerrilla style of hit & run art necessitates stencils for speed. I’ve never seen an original but if he wants to pop over to E Lincs I’ll gladly have a look. I have no idea what money he makes and don’t really care, there are people or companies making much lower quality “entertainment” raking in way more of our money.

Any watch banksy in NY, basically did something every day of the month, did a stale selling originals for something like $20 each, not many sold and at the end of the programme told you the true worth of the pics people had bought.

I thought his Dismalland installation was cool.
Walled Off hotel project in Bethlehem, Palestine is quite clever also

The traffic cones sinking into the road was genius as was the crows killing the security cameras. At the end of the day he is a graffiti artist. So as such his work is not subject to copywrite. The stuff he does on private property is owners property. He can spray paint anything I have outside. A lot of people have made a lot of money on the back of him. Just go down to Camden Market to see all the knock offs. He usually has something to say so I for one am interested in where he is going with this.

By the by have any of you tried to make a stencil in the detail he does? Never mind using it and getting out without being seen......for how many years.

The police box was cool.

But they are not breaking the law and then using the publicity to make money.
Banksy’s work appears to be recognised as enhancing an area, not defacement. Way different to random tagging and normally placed somewhere visible but not destructive as the London campaign has shown. There has to be a distinction between genuine street art and the rest. The fact that people will flock to an area to see a new work is testament to how his work is viewed by the public.

In this day and age, anything that can both enlighten and amuse is a welcome distraction from the chaos which is developing around the world.

Back