Free gas. 18 litre corny fill instead of 19?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like people that are willing to try ideas out to see if they work and admire your willingness to give it a go @MashBag but ...

but do think no cylinder/faff/rental/refill has its merits.
... I can't help feeling that it sounds more of a faff than just using a cylinder 🤣 that being said make sure you keep us updated if you do decide to go for it 👍

Is there nowhere local that you can get a cylinder without an ongoing rental? I paid a deposit and the about £20 for a refill which lasts me over a year

I've found that if I completely fill a Corny with 19L of beer, it's as flat as a fart, because as hard as I try, I can't get it to hold gas. I've shaken it, rolled it about, even played catch.

If you like that thing, great.
I naturally carbonate my beer during fermentation and do a closed transfer. I have a full keg of carbonated beer plus a couple of bottles.

I've found that if I completely fill a Corny with 19L of beer, it's as flat as a fart, because as hard as I try, I can't get it to hold gas. I've shaken it, rolled it about, even played catch.

That sounds like a leaky corny or you can defy physics 🤣🤣

A couple of things here. Firstly, farts aren't flat, what with them being made up almost entirely* of gas. :D
Secondly, I've never found the shaking or rolling method of carbonation to be either effective or accurate. Either does nothing or ends up over carbonated. Best way I've found is the fire and forget method, set it to serving pressure and leave for a week.
Thirdly, As said above, you've got a leak somewhere. Replace your seals and even the posts. Cheap to do.

*We won't discuss the alternatives here.

Latest posts

Back