Serving from fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Collo

Reaction score
Morning all, just a quick question, so i'm going to do my first brew for probably 10 years, and my intention was to pressure ferment in a chubby fermenter. I wont be drinking this until mid December - my question is do i need to transfer from the fermenter - or can i leave it in there and server from there after this amount of time?

Morning all, just a quick question, so i'm going to do my first brew for probably 10 years, and my intention was to pressure ferment in a chubby fermenter. I wont be drinking this until mid December - my question is do i need to transfer from the fermenter - or can i leave it in there and server from there after this amount of time?
Some will say it will be fine, I wouldn’t like to leave my beer on the yeast that long. 2weeks is enough.

Yup that's where I was foxy.
Certainly transfer it to another keg (or a bucket and back). Prime & then leave it in the cool & dark until you want to serve.

But you don't say what you are brewing so that could all be cobblers, but I have a sneaky suspicion it's larger🤣

I haven't actually decided what I'm going to brew yet, but I'm picking up a brewzilla from the classifieds on Sunday however I'm off the drink until mid December (pre-christmas shred) so i wanted to make something for when I'm going to indulge again. I thought i could ferment then cold crash and leave to condition all in one vessel, but saw conflicting info about it hence asking :) I'll be back asking what i can make from the supplied malt/hops lol.
So i think using the advice from above, i will transfer to a sanitized bucket once fermented, clean/sanitize the chubby and transfer back, i can leave it in this under pressure until I'm ready to drink it. After fermentation, do i cold crash then transfer?

thanks

I haven't actually decided what I'm going to brew yet, but I'm picking up a brewzilla from the classifieds on Sunday however I'm off the drink until mid December (pre-christmas shred) so i wanted to make something for when I'm going to indulge again. I thought i could ferment then cold crash and leave to condition all in one vessel, but saw conflicting info about it hence asking :) I'll be back asking what i can make from the supplied malt/hops lol.
So i think using the advice from above, i will transfer to a sanitized bucket once fermented, clean/sanitize the chubby and transfer back, i can leave it in this under pressure until I'm ready to drink it. After fermentation, do i cold crash then transfer?

thanks
I'd cold crash first. Will drop a lot of trub out of suspension. Minimum two days, though three would be better.

thanks

By doing that you are almost certain to oxidise the beer. If you had another pressure vessel you could transfer the beer between them both oxygen free. The Oxebar 20 / 8 / 4 litre kegs would be ideal. Be a shame to go through the process of brewing and the beer to be spoilt.

By doing that you are almost certain to oxidise the beer. If you had another pressure vessel you could transfer the beer between them both oxygen free. The Oxebar 20 / 8 / 4 litre kegs would be ideal. Be a shame to go through the process of brewing and the beer to be spoilt.
I have x4 corny kegs that i acquired a few years ago, just waiting for seal kits to come for them. I assume i would need to use 2 for a greater than 19l brew?

Latest posts

Back