Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Don’t know
2. Don’t know
3. Have a 12 year old Volvo diesel, looking to change. Hadn’t really thought about EV.
4. Took said volvo in for MOT. Got a EV as a courtesy car. Ordered one when I picked my car up. 2-4 weeks delivery. Complete mind shift once I had actually driven one. Quiet, convenient, full of gadgets and the fastest car I’ve ever driven. I don’t do big miles anymore (I used to do a Norfolk to Cornwall commute then a Norfolk to Edinburgh commute). We have another ICE car on the drive.

1. Yes.
2. Unlikely to go back to petrol. If the sums made sense I possibly would. Not weirdly ideologically wedded to what fuels my car.

I do less than average miles, but need a lot of ground clearance and need to tow.
I am also not "weirdly ideologically wedded to what fuels my car''. But the car does have to be capable... And I think that's been forgotten, probably because it's no a big market sector.

So as the thread is quite old let's see how opinions have changed -

To those that have owned or still own a EV -

1 - Do you still think it was a good move and prefer it to a ICE car?

2 - Will you buy another or go back to ICE while you still can?

3 - How many members own an ICE car and would like to change?

4 - How many will be making the change in the near future?
1. Yes - NHS lease for my wife
2. We will do another NHS lease when we have to hand back Audi Q4

3. / 4. I have a small ICE, as soon as funds allow I’d like to purchase a small EV, 150 - 200 mile range ish.

1. I don't know, but it makes sense if your family run more than 1 to have an EV for majority of shorter range trips

2.i don't have an EV yet, but our preferred everyday multispace vans are now only available as electric, They have very limited range by modern standards. However this fact is currently pushing 2nd hand ev prices much lower than the last of the diesel versions.

3. we have 2 ice shared between 3 of us. They won't be replaced until uneconomic to repair.

4. No idea at what point uneconomic to repair will occur as 2nd hand prices are/were through the roof due to COVID production dip so that threshold as tripped since pre COVID.

1. Yes
2. Definitely getting another. I don't often do more than 200 miles a day and on the very odd occasion I do, the charger network on motorways is perfectly capable of conveniently charging as much as I need and when I need it.

Based on my pretty average mileage, I like saving nearly two thousand pounds a year on fuel as well.
I like the power
I like the tech
I like the self satisfied smug effect (that I know I shouldn't have) of not gassing kids and old people in town with particulates
I also like pissing off ev haters by not bursting into flames, running out of leccy every 400 yards and beating them at the traffic light GP.

Latest posts

Back