Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Don’t know
2. Don’t know
3. Have a 12 year old Volvo diesel, looking to change. Hadn’t really thought about EV.
4. Took said volvo in for MOT. Got a EV as a courtesy car. Ordered one when I picked my car up. 2-4 weeks delivery. Complete mind shift once I had actually driven one. Quiet, convenient, full of gadgets and the fastest car I’ve ever driven. I don’t do big miles anymore (I used to do a Norfolk to Cornwall commute then a Norfolk to Edinburgh commute). We have another ICE car on the drive.

1. Yes.
2. Unlikely to go back to petrol. If the sums made sense I possibly would. Not weirdly ideologically wedded to what fuels my car.

I do less than average miles, but need a lot of ground clearance and need to tow.
I am also not "weirdly ideologically wedded to what fuels my car''. But the car does have to be capable... And I think that's been forgotten, probably because it's no a big market sector.

So as the thread is quite old let's see how opinions have changed -

To those that have owned or still own a EV -

1 - Do you still think it was a good move and prefer it to a ICE car?

2 - Will you buy another or go back to ICE while you still can?

3 - How many members own an ICE car and would like to change?

4 - How many will be making the change in the near future?
1. Yes - NHS lease for my wife
2. We will do another NHS lease when we have to hand back Audi Q4

3. / 4. I have a small ICE, as soon as funds allow I’d like to purchase a small EV, 150 - 200 mile range ish.

1. I don't know, but it makes sense if your family run more than 1 to have an EV for majority of shorter range trips

2.i don't have an EV yet, but our preferred everyday multispace vans are now only available as electric, They have very limited range by modern standards. However this fact is currently pushing 2nd hand ev prices much lower than the last of the diesel versions.

3. we have 2 ice shared between 3 of us. They won't be replaced until uneconomic to repair.

4. No idea at what point uneconomic to repair will occur as 2nd hand prices are/were through the roof due to COVID production dip so that threshold as tripped since pre COVID.

1. Yes
2. Definitely getting another. I don't often do more than 200 miles a day and on the very odd occasion I do, the charger network on motorways is perfectly capable of conveniently charging as much as I need and when I need it.

Based on my pretty average mileage, I like saving nearly two thousand pounds a year on fuel as well.
I like the power
I like the tech
I like the self satisfied smug effect (that I know I shouldn't have) of not gassing kids and old people in town with particulates
I also like pissing off ev haters by not bursting into flames, running out of leccy every 400 yards and beating them at the traffic light GP.

Off topic slightly but I thought I’d share these pics. It is huge!

Attachments

• IMG_1737.jpeg
    IMG_1737.jpeg
    59.8 KB
  • IMG_1736.jpeg
    IMG_1736.jpeg
    107.2 KB
1 - Do you still think it was a good move and prefer it to a ICE car? Not sure yet, I like the car, but been stung with huge drop in residuals meaning I am tied to this PCP deal and will see nothing at the end of it. The recent moves to remove salary sacrifice and and other tax grabs might slow future sales and drive prices up will have to wait and see. Would prefer RWD or AWD the front end lights up in the wet with slightest try

2 - Will you buy another or go back to ICE while you still can? Only if the deal was right ie much cheaper, I have no issue with a nice torque diesel engine but the planned tax grab on fuel puts me off. I drive a modest EV (Mk1 Kona 64Kw) so not a performance gain purely finanicial

3 - How many members own an ICE car and would like to change? _ only car in my house took the plunge on an EV so far its worked not bee stranded and found that certain insurance policies will recover you if you are out of charge and not in range of a charger so gives a safety net

4 - How many will be making the change in the near future? - done it tied in to PCP for next 42 months.

1. Not sure yet, but about to find out.
2. NA
3. Yes, I'd very much like to change to electric
4. I will almost certainly be doing so in the next 2 months.

Went to drive a 3 year old Hyundai Kona Electric on Saturday and really liked it, and more importantly Mrs JockyBrewer did too, so we're almost certainly changing over to electric before the end of the year.

The one thing I'm surprised about though is the incentive to draw people towards electric is quite small, and we are in the ideal bracket of being technologically positive, can afford it and have our own driveway to charge in.

The upfront costs for the car are similar - for what we're looking at the Kona as an EV or ICE is about the same cost, and fairly equivalent to a VW Golf that we currently drive. The EV though needs a charger for £1000.

Running costs per year - well here are my estimates for 6000 miles per year:

ICEElectric
Fuel£1400£170-350 (tariff dependent)
Tax£190£0 (up to £190 from 2025)
Servicing (avg minor/major)£300£120
Insurance£350£470
Totals£2180£760-940 (£950-1130 from 2025)

If you're doing higher mileage there's definitely an incentive there.

@matt.

Did you pick up the car?
Yep, pleased as Punch after 2 weeks. Lots of bells n whistles to get use to.

One error; it's 2 years old and when I placed the order I had not requested a non smokers car. On delivery there was the usual fresh clean pong that the salesman said would disappear after a week. It certainly has but in it's place is a definite whiff of fags.
My wife has no sense of smell so it only bugs me.
Any thoughts on fag pong removal?

1730126175813.png

Attachments

• IMG_20241022_172227.jpg
    IMG_20241022_172227.jpg
    112.9 KB
Last edited by a moderator:

my two penneth worth...

1. Mine is a salary sacrifice so had no choice, but on balance was a good move as a practical family car and there is alot to like about it. I have no preference over petrol/diesel/EV...any car is more than its power train...if you like cars that is..if not it doesn't matter and a car is just a white good and it matters not.

2. If I decide to stay on my company salary sacrifice scheme I'll go for another EV...I have no choice - and if I do it will be mainly because it covers tyres, insurance, tax, servicing, repairs etc more than anything so makes for nice convenient car ownership. I'd never contemplate buying an EV with my own money so if I don't stick with the salary sacrifice scheme I'll definitely go petrol, and probably something a bit interesting and older as the kids are not as dependant on being ferried about any more so don't need such a sensible practical car going forward. I've never had a v12 so would probably go for an older massively depreciated v12 something while you still can.

3. N/A

4. N/A

Yep, pleased as Punch after 2 weeks. Lots of bells n whistles to get use to.
Any thoughts on fag pong removal?

1730126377016.png

Nice colour how are you finding the new driving style the E-CVT box matching engine revs can take a little getting used to how are you finding it?

As said above get it valeted specifically mentioning the fag smoke smell when you phone for a quote.

Nice colour how are you finding the new driving style the E-CVT box matching engine revs can take a little getting used to how are you finding it?

As said above get it valeted specifically mentioning the fag smoke smell when you phone for a quote.
Thanks folks.
I've just been on the dealer and he has agreed to change the air filter and do another inside clean, for free.
A local car cleaner quoted me £160+ for a deep clean to remove smoke smell.
I'll see how the dealer does.

Make sure they do the cabin filter, as on re-circ the fag smoke gets stuck in the filter and if you leave the Aircon on auto it will use re-circ a lot and that might be why you are getting the smell come through

Latest posts

Back