Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digressing slightly, driver licensing could do with looking at.

I remember being posted abroad in the early 80’s, it was a fairly short posting, but in that time, a law was passed making it illegal for me to ride my Superdream.

It was 250 cc, the law had changed to make it so that learners could only ride a 125 and below.

Too many people were having accidents on fast bikes.

I think new drivers should be limited to a very small engine car for a couple of years. The insurance is helping with that, but I think it’s time to help towards reducing accidents with a law.

Digressing slightly, driver licensing could do with looking at.

I remember being posted abroad in the early 80’s, it was a fairly short posting, but in that time, a law was passed making it illegal for me to ride my Superdream.

It was 250 cc, the law had changed to make it so that learners could only ride a 125 and below.

Too many people were having accidents on fast bikes.

I think new drivers should be limited to a very small engine car for a couple of years. The insurance is helping with that, but I think it’s time to help towards reducing accidents with a law.
the current suzuki swift had a 1.0 engine 109ps/bhp - cant remember which and weighed in at around 970kg. pretty nippy. maybe an addtional max power to weight ratio would be needed as well. Whilst I'm aware of a 1.0l fiesta having a 125ps engine - that weighs more than the swift.

perhaps we should just get kei cars from japan. 87mph top speed. I'd love a new Daihatsu lots of funky weird models there

1667904078666.png

Unfortunately the name rhymes with DAFT

1667903826230.png

and for when your mobility takes a turn for the worse....

Japan's ageing demographic means perhaps looking a little more towards their ideas?

They also manage north of 60 mpg

Both my kids passed at 18 first time, son is now 32 no accidents cars to date, 1.0L corsa, corsa 1.6 vxr 208 bhp i loved driving it, seat 1.2 current car nissan juke nismo rs 218 bhp, daughter now 24 cars to date 1.2 puegeot 208, 1.2 vw polo, puegeot 1.2 turbo which was written of in a no fault accident in north yorkshire, she was stopped at a junction when an old dear decided to turn right off the main road and was hit by a ford kuga which then t boned my daughter and boyfriend amidships at over 50mph both were ok pug was knackered her current car is a vw t-roc diesel which she loves, my point is not all youngsters are lunatics there are a lot of oldies who are and i don't think a change of law is the answer

my point is not all youngsters are lunatics there are a lot of oldies who are and i don't think a change of law is the answer
I couldn't agree more there are good and bad drivers in all age groups young ones may be statistically more prone to having accidents I wonder how those stats would change if the olds who are stopped driving when they still think they are still fit to drive weren't.

The insurance is helping with that,
It is i agree but it is also punishing the majority of young drivers who are sensible, i would make it if you cause an accident through your driving or get caught speeding you get a 5 year ban and a massive fine and drive with a black box for 5 years when your ban is up, if your going to have laws to protect people at least have proper one's, check out speeding fines in Finland, an example "Like in 2002 when Anssi Vanjoki, a director at Nokia, was caught driving 75km/h in a 50km/h and was fined $103,000 (almost £82,000)." Norway is even harsher

Last edited:
my kids are 31 and 25 and have been driving since they were 21. their first car was a daihatsu. Nippy, reliable, predictable handling. unlike the yrv turbo which would plant you in the nearest hedge at the first opportunity ashock1 Whilst I assume daihatsus are generally properly rated by insurance companies, I suspect a chunk of that risk comes out of the elderly demographic which tended to favour such cars. I know Japanese cars are dearer to repair due to the parts being more expensive yet many insurance companies will use aftermarket non Japanese parts to repair a vehicle. You do have the right generally to take your car to an approved manufacturer repairer. There's a bit of a scam going on with insurance in this regard and the insurers are the ones scamming us.

Both cars reached their 14th anniversary without major issues although one has bitten the dust since due to major pothole impact with damage not apparent at the time. In hindsight seeing broken cars pull in after the stretch of road concerned my dearest only chose to mention it in passing much later, whereas i'd have checked it out and raised a claim with the local council. We could have saved her. 😭

It is i agree but it is also punishing the majority of young drivers who are sensible, i would make it if you cause an accident through your driving or get caught speeding you get a 5 year ban and a massive fine and drive with a black box for 5 years when your ban is up, if your going to have laws to protect people at least have proper one's, check out speeding fines in Finland, an example "Like in 2002 when Anssi Vanjoki, a director at Nokia, was caught driving 75km/h in a 50km/h and was fined $103,000 (almost £82,000)." Norway is even harsher
like in Switzerland I believe your fine is based on your level of income. whereas here if you're not too naughty you can opt for a FPN

I couldn't agree more there are good and bad drivers in all age groups young ones may be statistically more prone to having accidents I wonder how those stats would change if the olds who are stopped driving when they still think they are still fit to drive weren't.
The link I gave earlier shows that the rate of car or van drivers involved in collisions per billion miles travelled is much lower than younger drivers till the age of 75. One could say that any age range would be judged unfairly on the actions of those who transgress. Insurance companies can only act on probabilities and those for 18-25 are high.

Here's perhaps a situation where the eyes of a machine would be better than a humans. My bike accident was not as bad as this thankfully. With tesla model 3's being the biggest selling fv in the uk there is hope that ev's bring unexpected benefits to those of us on the road.

Last edited:
Here's perhaps a situation where the eyes of a machine would be better than a humans. My bike accident was not as bad as this thankfully. With tesla model 3's being the biggest selling fv in the uk there is hope that ev's bring unexpected benefits to thouse of us on the road.

This is definitely where AI can hopefully help catch the situations where a driver makes a mistake - I think that is a far more realistic and safer application of the technology than full autonomy.

Probably worth pointing out that this technology isn't specific to electric vehicles; there are plenty of petrol/diesel vehicles with the same technology.

This is definitely where AI can hopefully help catch the situations where a driver makes a mistake - I think that is a far more realistic and safer application of the technology than full autonomy.

Probably worth pointing out that this technology isn't specific to electric vehicles; there are plenty of petrol/diesel vehicles with the same technology.
Of course, I have a lot of safety tech on my car. lane assist, auto braking, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, radar cruise control. So I have 8 ultrasound sensors 2 camera and radar. That pales into the hardware tesla puts into its car.

Here's perhaps a situation where the eyes of a machine would be better than a humans.
If the car had been equipped with *collision detection as a lot are today this accident would not have happened why don't all manufacturers fit it as standard,
*My car is not an expensive model and it has collision detection, lane departure fitted.

As DoJ says above modern cars have collision detection, lane departure, automatic cruise that keeps you a set distance from the car in front and blind spot detectionetc, driverless cars are not the only way to make roads safer.

Last edited:
Not long had a EV, and I haven't read the thread (lazy person that I am), but it makes me think of the lack of progress from the 70 when I a very young. We had a warehouse at the end of our road that the Co-Op milk floats we re e kept in overnight. Every morning they would deliver the milk to your door.
It seem to me that progress has been non-existent due to big pil and car manufacturers. The government's have also ignored the issues.

But where do you put the milk???

Yes, progress, but we should really have moved away from ICEs.
Progress has been helpd back. Planning for long journeys is something you don't have to consider in an ICE yet, finding working, sensibles priced EV chargers can be challenging.

Latest posts

Back