Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Current vehicle is a fiat doblo, which we bought new for 14 grand back in 2014. Frequently use it for towing a stock trailer with 20 sheep in it or hay trailer with 50 bales. When it needs replacing what are we supposed to do?

https://zecar.com/resources/electric-car-towing-guide
eeeeeture.JPG

Current price of a diesel doblo is 21 grand or thereabouts I've seen Facebook adds for the ev doblo - hard to see it was even a car add and absolutely zero information.

No problem towing this, it's only a little 3/4 ton folding camper but with 4wd, heaps of torque and a very low COG I can't even feel it's there.
IMG_20220615_171240.jpg

Towed this previously with an Audi A6 (FWD) and before that a 3 series BM (RWD), and with both of those you definately knew there was something attached.

Range takes a hit, probably only 200 miles rather than 300 if you take it easy but range was also reduced for the ICE cars while towing although not as much.

This campsite let us charge from the electric hook up too. Don't know how long that will be a thing though.

This campsite let us charge from the electric hook up too. Don't know how long that will be a thing though.
That could be a good thing to advertise to draw EV campers in, if they allow standard 3 pin charger I imagine it wouldn't cost a huge amount and they could install pay as you go meters or put their prices up a little to compensate, it would be a big plus for EV campers.

That could be a good thing to advertise to draw EV campers in, if they allow standard 3 pin charger I imagine it wouldn't cost a huge amount and they could install pay as you go meters or put their prices up a little to compensate, it would be a big plus for EV campers.
They already do this at the caravan club sites. You tell them you want to charge an EV and they add an extra £5 I think to your pitch fees and you put your granny charger in a socket in your caravan
Most sites also now have proper chargers in the car park.

Good on them for getting in early I imagine many will wait until they don't have any choice.

The problem will be the total site power draw during busy season.
As more ev's are in use you will find the power supply to remote campsites will force a limit on how many cars can be charged at once.
So don't be surprised if you have to book this in the future.

The problem will be the total site power draw during busy season.
As more ev's are in use you will find the power supply to remote campsites will force a limit on how many cars can be charged at once.
So don't be surprised if you have to book this in the future.

They could limit charging to late evening/early morning.

Thats why they insist on you using a granny charger from your caravan, that way you are only able to 'pull' the maximum the caravan can provide - which is limited by the electric post your caravan is plugged in to and what you are using inside the van.
From memory the posts can provide 16amp, so you have to be careful and do it when everything is turned off. It will trip your caravan fuse if you try charging at 13amp and then have the lights, TV etc on.

Thats why they insist on you using a granny charger from your caravan, that way you are only able to 'pull' the maximum the caravan can provide - which is limited by the electric post your caravan is plugged in to and what you are using inside the van.
From memory the posts can provide 16amp, so you have to be careful and do it when everything is turned off. It will trip your caravan fuse if you try charging at 13amp and then have the lights, TV etc on.
I imagine when the majority of us start to move over to EV's places like this will need to provide charging for customers, for the ones out in the middle of knowhere maybe a combination of solar, wind and batteries would supply demand.

PXL_20230322_090752213.jpg

It's here!!!
Like a kid in a sweet shop, making it fart, doing a silly star wars light show and generally messing about with it. Then took it out for an actual drive and have to say it's all very serene and sensible. But then floor it and it's like a scalded cat down the road. Many giggles with mini-nicks90 and it's a big thumbs up.
Terrifying looking at the energy monitor thingy on my desk zooming up to 8kw when I plugged it in though :-(

View attachment 83395
It's here!!!
Like a kid in a sweet shop, making it fart, doing a silly star wars light show and generally messing about with it. Then took it out for an actual drive and have to say it's all very serene and sensible. But then floor it and it's like a scalded cat down the road. Many giggles with mini-nicks90 and it's a big thumbs up.
Terrifying looking at the energy monitor thingy on my desk zooming up to 8kw when I plugged it in though :-(

Beautiful! Nothing quite like a new car day. Enjoy!

View attachment 83395
It's here!!!

I got my Model 3 LR in December 2022. It still puts a smile on my face every time I get in it. Enjoy 🍻

Edit - It was actually December 2021 I got. Still love it.

Last edited:

What a load of ********.

"For many electric cars" read we have done no research.

forcing insurance companies to write off cars with few miles - leading to higher premiums and undercutting gains from going electric

How many of us don't have protected no claims?

Let us not forget cars were catching fire long before Ev's came along.

LONDON/DETROIT (Reuters) - For many electric vehicles, there is no way to repair or assess even slightly damaged battery packs after accidents, forcing insurance companies to write off cars with few miles - leading to higher premiums and undercutting gains from going electric

Let us not forget cars were catching fire long before Ev's came along.
This is not about car's catching fire, it is about cars being written off because they are unfixable mainly because the car makers refuse to provide battery data, have they something to hide, and Tesla making the battery pack part of the structure in the model Y to reduce production costs

Excited

"forcing insurance companies to write off cars with few miles - leading to higher premiums and undercutting gains from going electric." - This wasn't a problem with hybrids so why are we being fleeced by insurance companies for full electrics?

"Lauterwasser noted EV battery production emits far more CO2 than fossil-fuel models" - What is that supposed to mean? The construction of a battery isn't driving a car!

"Insurers, leasing companies and car repair shops are already fighting with carmakers in the EU over access to lucrative connected-car data." - Yes, everyone wants a finger in the pie. Now the state will also want its portion. Data management already applies to ICE vehicles too.

"the number of EVs in the isolation bay – where they must be checked to avoid fire risk - at the firm’s Doncaster yard has soared, from perhaps a dozen every three days to up to 20 per day." - Not really a surprise since the number of electric vehicles on the road is increasing. There was always going to a lag between EV vehicle production and reprocessing of batteries.

"According to online brokerage Policygenius, the average U.S. monthly EV insurance payment in 2023 is $206, 27% more than for a combustion-engine model" - Some of this will be due to the higher price of EVs.

"But Tony Cotto, director of auto and underwriting policy at the National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies, said “consumer access to vehicle-generated data will further enhance driver safety and policyholders’ satisfaction ... by facilitating the entire repair process.”" - Consumers will need those data as they get under their cars on a Sunday morning to repair their battery.

"“If the cost for a certain model gets higher it will raise premium levels because the rating goes up,” Lauterwasser said." - GENIUS

This is not about car's catching fire, it is about cars being written off because they are unfixable mainly because the car makers refuse to provide battery data, have they something to hide, and Tesla making the battery pack part of the structure in the model Y to reduce production costs

So it's not about fires it's about battery damage, if a battery is unusable because it is bamaged in a crash why is it any different to and engine that is unusable because it is severely damages due to many car manufacturers boltimg the suspension to it?
I don't see why a car should be written off just because the battery is bamaged why can't they replace it with a good one?
As for the quote below where are all these batteries piling up if it is that big a deal I am sure the anti EV lot would have made a huge noise about this long before now.

And now those battery packs are piling up in scrapyards in some countries, a previously unreported and expensive gap in what was supposed to be a “circular economy.”

Back