Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stan, the WEF is a not-for-profit organisation.

'It was established in 1971 as a not-for-profit foundation and is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. It is independent, impartial and not tied to any special interests.'
I get your point and understand why you make it.

Rather than me trying to explain who the WEF are and most likely making a hash of a complex subject with an incomplete explanation leading to endless posts clogging up this thread, I'd rather anyone who has an interest in the subject refers to James Corbett who has a long back catalogue of extensive research tackling these kinds of subjects.

https://www.corbettreport.com/wef/

Anecdotaly, I've just managed over 30k miles on my last set of tyres I don't recall ever getting that far in any previous ICE car before a change.
Non-anecdotaly, it would seem that any difference is mainly down to how much fun you have whilst driving.
Yes
View attachment 80114

Interesting that 'Other' fuel types are listed, but no percentage change is given, any information on this? What is the source of the stats?

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a very flawed article. Whilst the concern is valid, the suggestion it is specifically because of electric vehicles is false.

A petrol or diesel SUV will nearly always weigh more than the 2.2t quoted for the electric Tesla.

Almost all modern vehicles are heavier than the 1970s Ford Cortina that they are benchmarking against. Mostly due to more stringent safety requirements but also due to fitment of more in-vehicle technology.

Why don't they compare the electric Tesla directly against a modern ICE equivalent? Why use the upper end of the quoted mass range for the Tesla? Why not use a VW e-UP that weighs less than the Cortina at ~1300kg? Answer: because they have an anti-EV agenda that they are trying to justify.

Last edited:
I get your point and understand why you make it.

Rather than me trying to explain who the WEF are and most likely making a hash of a complex subject with an incomplete explanation leading to endless posts clogging up this thread, I'd rather anyone who has an interest in the subject refers to James Corbett who has a long back catalogue of extensive research tackling these kinds of subjects.

https://www.corbettreport.com/wef/
Not got an hour to listen to that right now but will when I get a chance.

Not going to deny that there is a severe lack of charging infrastructure in the UK currently.

Interesting though that you can only see a queue of 5 vehicles in the picture and it has been posted by the owner of a company that produces solely petrol powered vehicles. I wonder if he made similar posts back in January when there were shortages and huge queues at petrol stations.

Don't blindly believe everything you see posted on the internet, apply a bit of critical thinking and come to your own conclusion.

That is a very flawed article.
So we live in a flawed world, but only if you don't agree with the agenda that is constantly being rammed down our throats by people who cannot be trusted to tell the truth, number 10 now has a revolving door were one liar is replaced by another to push the bs they are peddling, is it any wonder people no longer believe ( well a few do ) anything they say, a bit off topic but an example is smart motorways smart my **** more like killer motorways, just keep taking the poison one day some folks will wake up and say yeah none of what they do helps ordinary people

So we live in a flawed world, but only if you don't agree with the agenda that is constantly being rammed down our throats by people who cannot be trusted to tell the truth, number 10 now has a revolving door were one liar is replaced by another to push the bs they are peddling, is it any wonder people no longer believe ( well a few do ) anything they say, a bit off topic but an example is smart motorways smart my **** more like killer motorways, just keep taking the poison one day some folks will wake up and say yeah none of what they do helps ordinary people

My immediate response to that rant is 'what?' as I simply don't understand your point.

The article you shared had major issues with the data it presented, which indicated a significant bias against electric vehicles. It doesn't make fair comparisons between electric vehicles and modern ICE vehicles. It also very selectively presents figures from electric vehicles at the upper end of the mass range. It even uses an electric Hummer as an example - how many of those are on UK roads?

Let me put it another way, if one of my engineers bought me that as a report into why we shouldn't invest further into electric vehicles then I'd seriously consider telling them to explore a different career.

Just because a headline says 'EVs are bad', it doesn't mean it is true.

Not going to deny that there is a severe lack of charging infrastructure in the UK currently.

I checked Zap Map and in our small town there are 5 sites that are live and two that are being installed 8 miles away in Barrow where they have all the major supermarkets there are plenty.

The country map shows coverage is no longer an issue unless you are in Scotland where it is a bit patchy.

https://www.zap-map.com

cccccre.JPG
mmmmmmmture.JPG

I just give up trying to have a point of view, all i will say is electric is not the way forward, good day and have a very good new year
You're more than entitled to a point of view.

There are lots of reasons why electric vehicles aren't the perfect solution. However, if you post information that is false to support your argument then it is going to get challenged.

I hope you have a very good New Year! acheers.

You're more than entitled to a point of view.
There are lots of reasons why electric vehicles aren't the perfect solution. However, if you post information that is false to support your argument then it is going to get challenged.
I hope you have a very good New Year! acheers.

Unfortunately there are too many who not only don't like being challenged, but are unwilling/unable to defend their position with good quality evidence. It's a result of the modern madness of opinion being given equal weight to verifiable data.

I checked Zap Map and in our small town there are 5 sites that are live and two that are being installed 8 miles away in Barrow where they have all the major supermarkets there are plenty.
The country map shows coverage is no longer an issue unless you are in Scotland where it is a bit patchy.
https://www.zap-map.comView attachment 80115 View attachment 80116

I travel to Barrow regularly, a 270 mile round trip, always managed it on a single charge, summer or winter. If I did need to fill up on the way back I have the easy options of Tebay, Scotch Corner or Washington.

For me, an EV is more convenient, cheaper, quieter, more fun, probably better for the environment, faster, safer and tows like a dream... Yes I'm an EV fan boy but there's lots to be a fan of.

I can provide clarification to any of the points listed above if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
No bias here. It is a genuine point . Until Electric is green then it is not green. Evs help bit are not the answer. Not until renewables ex nuclear are enough or evs are self generating. Sone ev users, not all,are so nasty in discussions like this.

I have an ev myself but i feel it takes lots more than that.

Please lets not be so accusery. It belittles us and is lazy debate

Back