Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I follow this guy a lot. He is a qualified engineer and I have a lot of time for him.

It's a warning to not blindly follow msm hype.

TLDW: Integrated infrastructure needs to be in place for the Whole energy system otherwise rationing is a possibility. Of course if we had enough nuclear plants or batteries to store our renewables we'd be swinging. Only the lead time on nuclear is a major pain.

And that's without consideration for the implementation of electric air source heat pumps running 24/7 that they want us to adopt also!

For what it's worth (and almost certainly repeating what I've said previously), I don't believe electric vehicles are the sole answer to the climate challenges we face.
In my view, we don't face a climate challenge.
However, I do believe they have a role to play as the evidence shows their overall environmental impact is less than a petrol or diesel equivalent.
EVs should be introduced for the reason of reducing pollution, not for reasons of reducing CO2, reducing CO2 will likely have a detrimental impact on the environment.

As I understand it EVs are heavier than ICE vehicles and will have more of a detrimental impact on road surfaces and tyre wear.

just as I had no incling that nurses would strike, or there would be a war in Ukraine or a pandemic or .

You appear to have a very selective memory, when the nurses came out on strike they said they would deal with emergencys even leaving the picket line to do so if necessary, as you cannot just flick a switch and shut down a unclear power plant I assume in the highly unlikely event the whole plant voted for strike a certain nunber would have to stay for safety reasons.

You've presented a legitimate concern about how blackouts might impact electric vehicle usage. Myself and others have countered with reasoned arguments that blackouts are unlikely and if they do happen the impact will either be negligible or not solely applicable to electric vehicles. However, you don't seem to be willing to consider changing your view in light of any evidence presented at you.

I couldn't agree more.

In my view, we don't face a climate challenge.

EVs should be introduced for the reason of reducing pollution, not for reasons of reducing CO2, reducing CO2 will likely have a detrimental impact on the environment.

As I understand it EVs are heavier than ICE vehicles and will have more of a detrimental impact on road surfaces and tyre wear.
Just for clarity, the industry uses 'gCO2/km' as an equivalency metric to measure all emissions. It's far from a perfect method but it is the best way to consider all the individual pollution contributions from a vehicle in a single number. Trust me when I say none of us working in the industry are blinkered by 'CO2'.

As this article highlights, using this metric EVs perform better overall. Therefore the conclusion should be that they pollute less.

EVs are generally heavier if you compare with a petrol or diesel version of the same vehicle. However, that will improve as battery technology matures, particularly if solid state batteries become a more viable option as they have much higher energy density than existing Lithium-ion batteries.

You appear to post a lot of random stuff with no backup whatsoever, Instead of posting "as I understand" why not do us all a favour and do a little research and post some facts.

This thread as been brilliant.

I am all for electric vehicles, in fact I think we are not far off to a point where we won't own cars and it will be a Uber type model.

The energy supply isn't an issue from what I understand, my concern is the clear lack of mechanics that are qualified to repair electric vehicles. A massive shortage of skilled mechanics .

This thread as been brilliant.

I am all for electric vehicles, in fact I think we are not far off to a point where we won't own cars and it will be a Uber type model.

The energy supply isn't an issue from what I understand, my concern is the clear lack of mechanics that are qualified to repair electric vehicles. A massive shortage of skilled mechanics .
I really hope shared usage takes hold. The majority of cars spend over 95% of their lives parked up so it's a huge waste of resources. The biggest blocker will probably be fully autonomous driving (i.e. no human present) which unfortunately is a long way off. So unless people are willing to accept cars may not be available right outside their front door (I suspect they won't) it won't happen.

The concern over mechanics is very real. High voltage training is in woefully short supply.

I worked in a franchised dealer nine years ago and only one mechanic had been on the EV courses, the other mechanics could still do the basic servicing as its only the high voltage parts of the system they are not allowed to touch..

Last edited:
This thread has me totally confused about who believes what anymore, it could be the Stout having an effect, but as with most pub conversations it will degenerate until the band starts. :beer1: :beer1::beer1:thumb.thumb.clapa:tongue::groupdancing:

Stan - the article you posted is over a year old, about a completely different country and at best has a tenuous link to electric vehicles. Now you are trying to suggest the Austrian army has some sort of psychic powers? It's complete nonsense that adds no meaningful value to the debate.
It looks like National Grid have been anticipating this scenario and factored it into their report:

https://www.nationalgrideso.com/document/268346/download

The WEF again, this time it's for good, or is it? Utilising EVs for grid charging when renewables fail, quite ambitious and sounds great until you discover who is funding all this experimentation.

This is a major reason why I object to the green agenda (which in my opinion is based on flawed science and manipulated data), they are funding their net-zero projects using tax payers money, genius, that way if it all turns out to be a big mistake or it just fails, then WEF/partners have no skin in the game, they make lots of skin and then they move onto the next money maker based on the next set of flawed science and the next manufactured crisis.

If it doesn't fail then we are all saved, they still make money at our expense and have created a sustainable future money-go-round for themselves, so that's what they mean by sustainability!

It's a no risk game for the WEF and the Corporates, all the risk is on us, they make money regardless.

"While government incentives and disincentives may help with some of these, they will also depend on end users investing in their own future and that of the planet."

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/08/net-zero-2050-carbon-capture-hydrogen/

Last edited:
The WEF again, this time it's for good, or is it? Utilising EVs for grid charging when renewables fail, quite ambitious and sounds great until you discover who is funding all this experimentation.

This is a major reason why I object to the green agenda (which in my opinion is based on flawed science and manipulated data), they are funding their net-zero projects using tax payers money, genius, that way if it all turns out to be a big mistake or it just fails, then WEF/partners have no skin in the game, they make lots of skin and then they move onto the next money maker based on the next set of flawed science and the next manufactured crisis.

If it doesn't fail then we are all saved, they still make money at our expense and have created a sustainable future money-go-round for themselves, so that's what they mean by sustainability!

It's a no risk game for the WEF and the Corporates, all the risk is on us, they make money regardless.

"While government incentives and disincentives may help with some of these, they will also depend on end users investing in their own future and that of the planet."

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/08/net-zero-2050-carbon-capture-hydrogen/

Stan, the WEF is a not-for-profit organisation.

'It was established in 1971 as a not-for-profit foundation and is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. It is independent, impartial and not tied to any special interests.'

Anecdotaly, I've just managed over 30k miles on my last set of tyres I don't recall ever getting that far in any previous ICE car before a change.

Non-anecdotaly, it would seem that any difference is mainly down to how much fun you have whilst driving.

It's a cutthroat market, market forces dictate demand, are slow offering companies really losing sales to EV companies at this point in time

Yes

1672477674013.png

Latest posts

Back