Christmas Beer started

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just in time... started the Brewferm Christmas Beer ... as per instructions. Didn't take the OG - was too hot, especially after doing the garden (for the last time this year??). At least the temps should help it along. Funny, it's 27 degrees and we are preparing for Christmas!

Tested the brew tonight - gravity is just a titch over 1.020, the recommended level for bottling. So leavig this for another couple of days.
Also had a quick taste - just half a shot glass (it's only 7 litres!). Very nice I must say. Full bodied and strong. I think I let the bottles mature slightly cooler under the stairs, all the way to Christmas. I can be very disciplined!

After two months in the bottle second bottle opened Christmas Eve. Absolutely phantastic. Full bodied, sweet and hoppy, creamy head, lasting fizz. Much better than the barley wine kit I had years ago. The first bottle I had was only slightly fizzy, so definetley worth waiting for this one. I'll probably do a batch soon for Christmas 2012!

klaus said:
After two months in the bottle second bottle opened Christmas Eve. Absolutely phantastic. Full bodied, sweet and hoppy, creamy head, lasting fizz. Much better than the barley wine kit I had years ago. The first bottle I had was only slightly fizzy, so definetley worth waiting for this one. I'll probably do a batch soon for Christmas 2012!

Always nice to hear a brew turned out well :thumb:

:cheers: Homebrewers, The Edme stout is great. I added x2 value honey from Tesco, x1 Tate and Lyle black treacle, x1 small pack of Muscavado sugar and a large root of ginger ( shredded ). I left it conditioning for a month after a two week single fermentation. On opening nearly all the bottle necks smoked, especially after chilling. The heads on the poured stouts were tan an a mixture of bubbly/creamy texture........................the stout itself was absolutely fantastic. Really rich in taste, liquouricey, darker than dark and even though there had been alot of sugars added, it wasn't too sweet. Good luck to anyone making this kit or adding to it. I'm going to get another one on the go soon. I put this brew, a Christmas brew, Coffee brew and Honey brew up for Christmas. All were thoroughly enjoyed. The joys of homebrewing. Check out my " Christmas stout " on youtube, mine is the pint in the youtube gallery photo's or type in our profile name: darkseers :party: HAPPY NEW YEAR 1212 :thumb: I will be getting a little brewing set up going on youtube next month for bit of fun.

Back