Festival Oaked Apple Cider kit - Vinegar problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyPitralon

Reaction score
Hello,

I haven’t been on here for ages, sorry, but that is precisely because everything was fine. I am not an avid brewer. After some testing I settled on the Festival Oaked Apple Cider kit and have been a happy chappy since - until a couple of months ago. A third of a bucket turned into vinegar.

I must admit, I hadn’t even disinfected the buckets regularly, because we live off the grid with a septic tank, and I have to be very careful about what (and how much of it) I pour down the drain. But as I said, everything was fine for years.

So now I do disinfect, and I do decant from the brew bucket into a storage bucket after fermentation has finished, rather than leaving it on the mash. Only, whatever is left still turns to vinegar after a couple of weeks.

I was just wondering whether anyone else has encountered this and whether someone has an idea what else I could try. I am ever so slightly at my wits’ end. Do I have to buy new brew buckets?

Many thanks.

Back