Brunken Dastard's Big Bad Brewery Build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooh sorry that was a brainfart I meant Type J! I've tested the readout with a cheap digital thermometer and a spirit thermometer and the readings seem to be spot on, it's just the control turning off early and keeping the temp at 49*c instead of 66*c - not sure why that would be?

Ok the only parameters I can change on the PID are

ALM1 & 2 (alarms)

Sc (or 5c I can't tell) which I beleive is for sensor correction, it goes from -10 to 10 and each degree will adjust the measured temp readout.

P

I

D

T Manual says:
SETTING RANGE =1 to 100 sec (0 cannot be set) *2 (times 2)
DESCRIPTION = Set control cool-side output cycle for heat/cool PID action
DEFAULT = 20

LOC - lock, I think this stops you from being able to change certain parameters to safeguard against changing PID settings after they've been set up.

AT - Autotune, not sure how to use this.

Any idea?

it's an italian PID made by a brand called Thermostar Scotti, I bought it off ebay second hand but luckily thermostar were great and posted me a manual from italy costing them 5 euros and didnt charge me : ) Unfortunately, it's very basic, and only covers what the functions do, not how to use them :(

I put it on autotuning and it seemed to work.... until the sensor started playing up.... I think I got water in it :(

Quick question....

I'm getting some camlock hose fittings, and I've got the choice between stainless steel and aluminium.

Aluminium: £31.96
Steel: £79.20

Aluminium will be fine... right? Please say it will!

onelegout said:
Quick question....

I'm getting some camlock hose fittings, and I've got the choice between stainless steel and aluminium.

Aluminium: £31.96
Steel: £79.20

Aluminium will be fine... right? Please say it will!

Ali will restrict your chemicals for sterilisation, they do food safe plastic not sure of temp levels though.

UP

Aah ok, well at the moment I use Barley Bottom's sanitising powder, it says it's fine for aluminium so that should be fine right?

I am so confused :(
I have bought 20mm pegler ball valves for the kegs, which have 20mm compression fittings at the end.
I need to:

a) hook these up to some tubing

b) find some tubing.

My problem is that I can't work out how to hook it up to some tubing (cant find barb fittings that go over the thread! Cant find what the thread is either! :( They're very commonly used 22mm pegler valves yet I cant find ANY info ANYWHERE about what size thread it is!

Someone please help :(

in other words:

I have no idea why hose barbs only come in BSP fittings, when all the valves I can find come in either 22mm or 15mm fittings! :(

onelegout said:
in other words:

I have no idea why hose barbs only come in BSP fittings, when all the valves I can find come in either 22mm or 15mm fittings! :(

22mm - 3/4" BSP
15mm - 1/2" BSP

That's what I thought, but intrico have told me that their 3/4" BSP camlock fittings will not fit 22mm ball valves! :S

onelegout said:
That's what I thought, but intrico have told me that their 3/4" BSP camlock fittings will not fit 22mm ball valves! :S

Don't see why not, except the 22mm is BSPP and the camlock is BSPT.

You could always use a full socket to hook it to a male camlock.

15mm is as near as dammit 1/2" . . . unfortunately 22mm is not close to 3/4"

And Intrico's fittings can be had in BSPP or BSPT you state the type when you order. . .

. . . .22mm pipe to a 22-15 reducer into the 22mm Compression joint . . .15 mm pipe Squeeze the flexi hose over the end and secure with a zip tie.

Aleman said:
15mm is as near as dammit 1/2" . . . unfortunately 22mm is not close to 3/4"

:wha:

I'm sure I've used 3/4" fittings onto 22mm compression threads before. Might be my mind playing up though.

Your help is REALLY appreciated guys. I think I'm going to do as AM says and make do with a 22mm to 15mm reducer with the hose pushed over it, but might use john guest fittings to make it easy to swap over.

I'm going to order one type A camlock fitting though, just to see if it works!

jamesb said:
jenki said:
I use Cone Seat unions with hose tails, cheaper than cam locks and SS

I don't suppose you could post a picture of one of those in bits could you? I'd like to see the sealing mechanism.
P1000876.jpg
P1000877.jpg

Here are two of mine, these are 3/8", with hose tail barbs screwed in, if you use 1/2" you could screw directly onto 1/2" tap, with some form of thread lock liquid.
there are no seals, it seals on the taper, and it is quite surprising that you only need to get them hand tight, i used 3/8" as i'm using a flo jet pump and wanted the smaller pipe to help reduce the flow for mash recirc

Back