Brunken Dastard's Big Bad Brewery Build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure it's just the element, so I'm going to make my own cables :)

The elements arrived! I had expected them to have 3 wire terminals, but in stead they have a male plug. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get the right plug which will connect to it?
334p1rq.jpg

Oh and here's a sneaky pic of the krausen on my fermenting Clout Stout! can't wait to pour the first pint of this one!
2871abp.jpg

That's a pretty standard Backer 2.75kw element. They are very old tech. Do a search for Backer on the site and you may be able to tap a forum member up for a spare lead...here :thumb:

Vossy1 said:
That's a pretty standard Backer 2.75kw element. They are very old tech. Do a search for Backer on the site and you may be able to tap a forum member up for a spare lead...here :thumb:
Cool thanks, I actually found an ebay shop earlier which sold what looks like the right type of cable. I'll hopefully get them in a couple of days and will post to let people know if they are the right ones.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0394637301

- H

Ok, now got two of these on the way
bis1g0.jpg

I'm planning to have the one which controls the HERMS connected to three thermocouples, one in the HLT, one on the outlet of the pump and one in the middle of the mash. I'll build a simple switch so that I can flick between the two.
Can anyone reccommend a place to buy thermocouples which go through the kettle wall?

Thanks for the help, you guys have got a great community going on here! :)

- H

onelegout said:
Vossy1 said:
Cool thanks, I actually found an ebay shop earlier which sold what looks like the right type of cable. I'll hopefully get them in a couple of days and will post to let people know if they are the right ones.

- H
B*gger it all gone :evil:

garwatts said:
onelegout said:
Vossy1 said:

- H
B*gger it all gone :evil:
Doh! Sorry I must have bought the last ones! Keep an eye out for more, I just searched for 'round pin kettle plug'.

Can't wait to get the steel for the frame and start building! :)

Ok I've been working on the brewstand design, let me know what you guys think!
Also, what kind of price should I expect to pay per meter for 40mm box section steel? I've no idea!

w979eq.jpg

A 6.5m Length should be around £18 + delivery unless you can collect!
Looking good on the design. Apart from all those diagonals to cut and weld in the top! Your a dedicated fabicator!! I'm lazy I would of just gone square cuts to make life simples! :lol:

lol yeah I've been thinking of using straight crossmembers instead : ) I'm a very inexperienced welder (in fact, this is my first fabrication attempt)

Try metal mania on e-bay for your steel, they'll cut to size and deliver up to 20kg for £12, top service.
FWIW, you'll be able to use 25mm box for those sorts of weights

Ok I've got 15m of 40mm x 40mm 3mm-thick box section on the way, cost me £91.65 delivered which I think is very reasonable. I'm going to have to make the brewstand a little smaller, but that's fine as I realised it was too big anyway!

Ok so the steel arrived, cut it up at a friend's dad's workshop, next step is to get it all welded up!
1z2kbgh.jpg

Now I'm just looking for advice on how to house the electrical system for the PIDs, SSRs and pump and element wiring.
I don't know much about electrics at all! How have others housed their wiring?

Cheers,
H

Started welding the frame today - This is the first welding I've attempted apart from two practice attempts on some rusty old scrap bits. The welds aren't pretty but they seem to be easily strong enough! If any welders out there could give me some tips that would be great! This is with a gasless MIG.
25psrap.jpg

a2u9t0.jpg

2z9ip74.jpg

f9gx0o.jpg

33pdfgz.jpg

Your welding will be plenty strong enough, slow down a bit and more side to side, I don't think you've much to worry about with the 40sq box, flat them out with the grinder and a lick of paint and your grand. My frame holds 3 x 100 ltr tanks and I made it from 30x30x2.5 Box. Welding is like most things, practice makes perfect.
Frame.jpg

Cool thats good to know, thanks :)

I've learned one thing already today, which is to make sure you tack both ends of each peice together before welding them properly! I've got 3 straight uprights and one bent one!

I got quite a lot done in my lunch hour today, not so much after work as it started raining and I had to pack up but so far I've made a box (minus one bent leg) tacked together and half welded.

I was wondering, what's the best way to bend the peice back the opposite way to make it straight again? I was thinking of heating the shorter side with a blow torch and bending it back?

Quick update!
Finally stopped raining. Girlfriend gave me a hand cleaning up the surfaces ready for welding.
14jstwz.jpg

Then got the other side tacked up and half welded before I had to run off.
25p4l12.jpg

Latest posts

Back