Brew Books - What's On Your Shelf??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely. I do like a collection you can measure in meters.
Haha. It;s grown a bit since then, but with nothing very interesting. My most recent acquisition, from Stone Brewing, is the biggest load of junk, Great for a coffee table book, but I'd expected a bit more from those dudes. Hence my reluctance to buy CAMRA's latest offering. However, the comments, above are weakening my resolve.

I have slowed up on the beverage books. Technical food books are catching up now.
Don't thing I've ever tried technical food. Any good? 😂

I'm having a flirtation with my boyhood passion (possibly, addiction, is there a difference?) of country wine making. Had been put off wine by grape wine, with a very few exceptions, which, frankly, leaves me cold. Wonder if anyone out there can recommend any up to date books.

Bought a pile of plums and am fermenting them with MJ CY17 on the hunch that it's high in beta glucosidase and might produce something light and floral. Let's see.

I can (genuinely) recommend this, but I don't think amazon keep it.

20240914_130936.jpg

Amazon.uk have got a battered copy for £14.95, but I'm not paying that for a 1953 edition. It;s even older than me. And probably written in Latin!
:laugh8:

I see it cost 8/6 when it was new. That's about 42p of today's money.
Thank,s though. I'm looking for something up to date. I've never moved on from Berry.

I am up to page 107 of 302. I'm enjoying reading it. Firstly, I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner and to be fair, the introduction begins by saying It assumes you already have a basic understanding of brewing beer.
I have made a number of notes so far, for example about different mash pHs for different styles. As I remember most books just say your mash pH should be within a range, but don't specify specific ranges for specific styles.
There is some good stuff on pellet v leaf hops and on the different types of pellet hops. It also talks about Incognito etc.

This is the contents page
View attachment 103766

And these are the books I already had
View attachment 103767

Enjoyed the book. Also noted the mash ph thing and will give it a go. Not much that will change my method but I may do wort aeration which I have never tried.

A few recipes I like but the skew is heavily towards American IPA, I am always put off by massive dry hops. Maybe some ideas for the 10L keg.

Big book of clone recipes and Clone brews arrived today..collection building nicely, one more still to come this week Historic German and Austrian beers for the homebrewer...

Back