Brew Books - What's On Your Shelf??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely. I do like a collection you can measure in meters.
Haha. It;s grown a bit since then, but with nothing very interesting. My most recent acquisition, from Stone Brewing, is the biggest load of junk, Great for a coffee table book, but I'd expected a bit more from those dudes. Hence my reluctance to buy CAMRA's latest offering. However, the comments, above are weakening my resolve.

I have slowed up on the beverage books. Technical food books are catching up now.
Don't thing I've ever tried technical food. Any good? 😂

I'm having a flirtation with my boyhood passion (possibly, addiction, is there a difference?) of country wine making. Had been put off wine by grape wine, with a very few exceptions, which, frankly, leaves me cold. Wonder if anyone out there can recommend any up to date books.

Bought a pile of plums and am fermenting them with MJ CY17 on the hunch that it's high in beta glucosidase and might produce something light and floral. Let's see.

I can (genuinely) recommend this, but I don't think amazon keep it.

20240914_130936.jpg

Amazon.uk have got a battered copy for £14.95, but I'm not paying that for a 1953 edition. It;s even older than me. And probably written in Latin!
:laugh8:

I see it cost 8/6 when it was new. That's about 42p of today's money.
Thank,s though. I'm looking for something up to date. I've never moved on from Berry.

I am up to page 107 of 302. I'm enjoying reading it. Firstly, I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner and to be fair, the introduction begins by saying It assumes you already have a basic understanding of brewing beer.
I have made a number of notes so far, for example about different mash pHs for different styles. As I remember most books just say your mash pH should be within a range, but don't specify specific ranges for specific styles.
There is some good stuff on pellet v leaf hops and on the different types of pellet hops. It also talks about Incognito etc.

This is the contents page
View attachment 103766

And these are the books I already had
View attachment 103767

Enjoyed the book. Also noted the mash ph thing and will give it a go. Not much that will change my method but I may do wort aeration which I have never tried.

A few recipes I like but the skew is heavily towards American IPA, I am always put off by massive dry hops. Maybe some ideas for the 10L keg.

Latest posts

Back