Bread baking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank950

Reaction score
Anyone got a recipe for baking bread.Never tried it before and am thinking of having a go..just though i would ask!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2060 ... hite-bread

My wife makes it each week. However we have bought a bread maker now and its the best thing since...er sliced bread.
We also don't make large loaves any more, much preferring bread cake/bap. type bread. But mainly we make the bread dough in the machine...then put thin slices of it into a set of moulds be bought somewhere that give us a dozen of those little " Hovis " type loaves ( about 3 inches long.) Brilliant for a continental breakfast with fresh perc coffee, lots of different jams or cheese. :clap:
On a lazy day breakfast can last a couple of hours...... :D

My son is also a bread maker at a local supermarket and he even praises the bread the machine turns out...

Bread making tip.... when mixing the ready made machine dough up before putting it on baking tray to warm and rise, Coat your hands with a little olive oil and it stops the dough sticking to you like super glue.

Enjoy.

piddledribble said:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2060/easy-white-bread

My wife makes it each week. However we have bought a bread maker now and its the best thing since...er sliced bread.
We also don't make large loaves any more, much preferring bread cake/bap. type bread. But mainly we make the bread dough in the machine...then put thin slices of it into a set of moulds be bought somewhere that give us a dozen of those little " Hovis " type loaves ( about 3 inches long.) Brilliant for a continental breakfast with fresh perc coffee, lots of different jams or cheese. :clap:
On a lazy day breakfast can last a couple of hours...... :D

My son is also a bread maker at a local supermarket and he even praises the bread the machine turns out...

Bread making tip.... when mixing the ready made machine dough up before putting it on baking tray to warm and rise, Coat your hands with a little olive oil and it stops the dough sticking to you like super glue.

Enjoy.

Thanks!

My Grandad owned a bakery. The key to baking bread is kneeding, make sure you get a good 10 mins kneeding. Even if the dough initially is as wet as possible it will rise well and be soft when baked.

I have a brilliant recipe for Grandads museli and date loaf. Send me a PM if you want to have a go at it

Bread, like wine, can be made in many different ways.
Get the knack of making one good recipe (that one looks like a decent one) and learn the techniques for timing, shaping proving etc. then you can alter the ingredients. Lard or butter instead of olive oil, different flours or blends. Allowing to prove or knocking back to create flatbreads etc.

Most of all, have fun with it. It's playdough you can cook and eat :lol:

We haven't bought a loaf of bread since on holiday in April . It takes about 5 minutes to put the ingredients together in our Panasonic breadmaker then a 4-5 hour wait for an excellent loaf every time , costs between 25-45p for a large loaf bepending on whether white or wholemeal loaf.
It also makes a brilliant pizza dough.

I have been making sourdough bread a little bit of effort and a longer time to wait but really good results. :thumb:

Pearlfisher said:
We haven't bought a loaf of bread since on holiday in April . It takes about 5 minutes to put the ingredients together in our Panasonic breadmaker then a 4-5 hour wait for an excellent loaf every time , costs between 25-45p for a large loaf bepending on whether white or wholemeal loaf.
I also recomend a Panasonic breadmaker, for some reason the results are much better than any of the others I've had experience of. My Panasonic must now be around 12 years old, used about every 3 days and never had any problem. Good results if you leave it to it and even better if you take the time to let it make the dough and then use the oven.

Windy said:
Pearlfisher said:
I also recomend a Panasonic breadmaker, for some reason the results are much better than any of the others I've had experience of. My Panasonic must now be around 12 years old, used about every 3 days and never had any problem. Good results if you leave it to it and even better if you take the time to let it make the dough and then use the oven.
Thanks!,i am shure a breadmaker is good although a little pricey for me just at the moment untill i see if i will stick at this or not..I am shure i willl though when the warm bread is soaking up the butter on the plate with strawberry jam.. :thumb:

Just moved this into the Snug, as it's not really Homebrewing related :thumb:

The other great thing about those Panasonic breadmakers is that you can load them up with fruit and sugar, sprinkle some pectin on top and in 2 hours it's made jam.

So bread and jam from the same machine!

dracunculus said:
The other great thing about those Panasonic breadmakers is that you can load them up with fruit and sugar, sprinkle some pectin on top and in 2 hours it's made jam.

So bread and jam from the same machine!
Great i will look into a Panasonic..any particular model?

Muddydisco said:
Just moved this into the Snug, as it's not really Homebrewing related :thumb:
Thanks!,wasnt shure weather to start this thread or not..now i know where the non related brewing query's are.. :thumb:

No worries Alan, just tiding up and found it lurking :thumb: You'll get the hang of the forum soon enough :cool:

alank950 said:

Panasonic SD-2501. Currently £104 on Amazon. Not cheap but ours paid for itself in under 6 months and we probably do 2 or so loaves a week plus a pizza dough and maybe a few rolls.

I have a kenwood with a dough hook,

just dump the ingredients in and let it go. admittedly you cant forget about it for 5 hours but i get great results with a lot less mess!

dracunculus said:
alank950 said:

Panasonic SD-2501. Currently £104 on Amazon. Not cheap but ours paid for itself in under 6 months and we probably do 2 or so loaves a week plus a pizza dough and maybe a few rolls.

Picked ours up (SD-251) off ebay for £21 in almost new condition 12 months ago. :D

Another Panasonic user, SD254, had it for some time now excellent bit of kit :thumb:

Only time we've bought bread is when we're on our way home from holiday and get bread, milk, eggs bacon etc last stop before home.

Mmm, tempted into buying a bread maker... :hmm:

Is there a big difference between the cheapo and the more expensive ones?
Can anyone recommend one?? I see that some on here have Panasonic... are these the best?? :wha:

BB

Latest posts

Back