Anyone Used Nitrogen instead of Co2 In a pressure Keg?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hulpy

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Apologies if this has come up before.

Having just come back from The Guinness factory in :drink: Ireland coupled with having just brewed a well primed porter with no discernible head, I wondered If anyone has any experience with using nitrogen gas instead of Co2 in a pressure Keg.

Guinness do this to get their distinctive tight foam Head (although admittedly Im aware this is done using the lines) and wondered if its something anyone Has Tried? And if so where would one get the Baulblettes

Cheers

and Merry

You can definitely get co2/nitro mix in a canister and hook it up to a corny keg. I'm not sure but i don't think there are nitrogen capsules for pressure barrels.. even if there was I'm not sure the nitro would make it into the beer.

It is the Admen that tell us that nitro/co2 in stout is best, but no one would want to use it in bitter um John smiths anyone :sick: so why would you want it in a stout. I get a nice tight cramy head from a bottle using a small syringe aka pocket beer engine.

If you do want to use Nitogen/co2 mix beware some home brew shops are selling nitrous oxide bulbs for the job but I believe nitrous oxide will oxidise your beer. :twisted: :twisted:

Nitrous oxide Beer Sounds Like a Laugh? :rofl:

But If Nitrogen Is the reason John Smith tastes wrong, than perhaps would be better to give it a miss.

graysalchemy said:
I get a nice tight cramy head from a bottle using a small syringe aka pocket beer engine.

Thanks for the Tip as its for my own consumption I have no problem using this method to generate head on the reains of the batch at home but feel it would somewhat unnerve guests and people being gifted the bottle if given with a syringe (even needless)

My point was that Guinness an John Smiths etal us it as a tool to get a perfect looking pint with minimal effort and skill across a wide range of outlets and dispensing methods. I suppose if it looks good then people will think it tastes good regardless of how it actually tastes, thus they can cover up pretty ropey tasting beer with a good looking head.

Guinness used to be a really nice pint, very bitter and with a very thick tight head and without Nitrogen, but not anymore, not something I would like to aspire to. However one of the many craft brewed stouts served on a hand pull is something I would like to aspire to. The best stout I had in recent years was a pint of Robinson Black Beauty served from a hand pull. :thumb: :thumb: a far better pint than anything Guinness could produce. :thumb: :thumb:

I do still enjoy a Guinness every now and again, and I must admit, the creamy head that nitro gives is not necessarily a bad thing... but, as you say, if its being used to disguise an average pint, then thats poor performance on guinness' part.

What tastes better your Effin Oatmeal or a pint of Guinness? no comparison is there. :lol: :lol:

I would always be swayed by choosing my own brew over a commercial beer :D

But whether it IS actually better or not, I'd never know, because of the sole reason of "I made that" clouds my judgment :lol:

I would prefer to be clouded by 'I made that' than a nitro induced head anyday. :thumb: :thumb:

Left Hand Brewing in Colorado, USA are using Nitrogen to great effect in 3 of theirs beers. It is definitely being used by an increasing number of craft Breweries.

Judging by that article Bernie... traditional cask ale served in a pub is essentially the same as serving using nitro on draught.. as the air that is being pushed through the cask ale is of similar nitrogen quantities. If that makes sense :wha:

It obviously isn't the same, but similar stuff is going into the beer

I remember Guinness in the pub i worked in in the 80's was pumped out using an electric cellar pump, you got the most amazing thick and bitter head which you simply don't get now with nitro. And as I said the recipe has been changed by the accountants.

I am a northerner who likes a nice thick creamy head on my pint but if it was the choice of a synthetic nitro head or a smaller head from a bottle which laced all the way down then I would take the natural head anyday, even if it was smaller. :thumb:

JulesRS said:
Left Hand Brewing in Colorado, USA are using Nitrogen to great effect in 3 of theirs beers. It is definitely being used by an increasing number of craft Breweries.

I suppose anything is better than the lager fizzy beers that most american craft brewers produce. :lol: :lol:

NickW said:
Judging by that article Bernie... traditional cask ale served in a pub is essentially the same as serving using nitro on draught.. as the air that is being pushed through the cask ale is of similar nitrogen quantities. If that makes sense :wha:

It obviously isn't the same, but similar stuff is going into the beer

Yes but one slight glaring error in that article is taht it says that the air in the pump is the cause of the beer to oxidise which is not the case, it is the air that has to go into the cask which causes it and an simple cask aspirator and co2 would solve that problem. It simply isn't the same as a hand pulled pint.

Latest posts

Back