Bottling, using a corny as a "brite tank"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All my kegs are "committed" to upcoming brews, but a friend has asked if he can come round and brew a stout together.
He's got bottles, but I'm thinking it'd nice to avoid getting sediment from doing a secondary fermentation.

So I'm wondering about temporarily using a Corny as a brite tank: stick the beer in there after primary, let it settle and gas up from the CO2 cylinder for a couple of days, and then bottle it using the counter-pressure filler.
That way his beer can finish maturing in the bottles, and I quickly get to re-use the keg...

Thoughts, ideas, comments welcome athumb..

Last edited:
The best use for corny's IMO. I either open ferment until the krausen begins to drop, then transfer off the trub to a purged corny, then batch prime* with sugar for bottling at a convenient time. Or, I ferment in a closed FV (or another corny), close transfer, carbonate and bottle with a beer gun. Very rarely do I dispense from keg. Also great as dry hopping vessel, a lagering tank outside in winter or as a secondary FV for long fermentations with Brettanomyces, or ageing on wood.

*Priming solution added via the beer out post connected to a pressurised cola bottle with a carbonation cap. Rousing just enough yeast off the bottom for conditioning.

Back