Anyone Used Nitrogen instead of Co2 In a pressure Keg?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think air goes into the cask as the overpressure is CO2 + N2 no oxygen. I agree with greys alchemy that it's cheating somewhat although beer engines have been used for a very long time.
My quibble with Guinness is that it is served too cold and I'm not sure it's to do with the N2 beer engine, while I prefer stouts a little warmer.

No I meant in a traditional cask ale which the article was comparing nitro kegs to.

And don't get me started on overtly cold beer another trick employed by the admen to cover up poor beer.

mike77 said:
Doesn't really answer your question but I found this a while back and thought it looked like a fun experiment

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/beer-on-nitro-at-home.110116/

Just looked at this gutted used to have one of these, but gave it away as no longer a youth. :nono:

Reading some of the responses people say it shouldnt effect the beer as is stable

"Don't think so. My rudimentary understanding of chemisty is that the Oxygen in N20 is binded very stabley with the Nitrogen. I don't think it would react with the beer.

In the same way the Co2 doesnt but not so sure about that.

Nitrous Oxide N20 is an oxidising agent so you certainly wouldn't want to put it in your keg. :thumb:

That article and the following thread are full of inaccuracies. :evil: :evil:

N2O is an oxidising agent but remains stable at room temperature. It's soluble in fats and so is used as a propellent in whipped cream. I wouldn't use it in beer.
If you do want a head to your stout bottle it and pour with vigour.

Just my pennyworth.

I haven't tried using nitrogen in a 23lt keg, but use it in minis quite happily. Yes I would agree that the beer may turn quicker if not consumed quickly,but with a 5lt keg its not going to be around for long. Plus with priming sugar as well you could argue that it would be a mixed gas...

Nitrogen isn't the problem its n2o which is an oxidising agent, and as I have said some homebrew shops have been selling it :evil:

Not forgetting that the Guinness Draught tap also incorporates a specially designed restrictor plate which aids the creation of the creamy head.

I don't know how long beer takes to oxidise or how good an oxidising agent it is but you would have probably known if it had gone off.

So having a think when I got home it came to me! I went to my extensive cupboard of all things booze & gadgety and voila I think this will work better than a whip cream dispenser and less likely to oxidse given a three pint capacity.... May try with co2 first

Now I just need a new rubber seal as the current one has perished!

graysalchemy said:
It is the Admen that tell us that nitro/co2 in stout is best, but no one would want to use it in bitter um John smiths anyone :sick: so why would you want it in a stout. I get a nice tight cramy head from a bottle using a small syringe aka pocket beer engine.

If you do want to use Nitogen/co2 mix beware some home brew shops are selling nitrous oxide bulbs for the job but I believe nitrous oxide will oxidise your beer. :twisted: :twisted:

Ok so I googled beer engine and thought that is a good idea I'll try it out later. Poured myself a pint filled up a 5ml syringe and blasted it in..... Thanks GA I was left with a pint of head lol :oops:

Second pint, 1ml blasted in, perfectamundo :clap:

Cheers GA

Matt

I too had a crack with a syringe and lovely creamy had and the bubbles even went down!

It is a bit of an art but with a bit of pumping you can get a wonderful tight head that lasts and laces all the way down. :thumb:

In actual fact i member seeing a device on 'Tomorrows World' which Guinness had developed which was basically a syringe so that bottled guinness could have a head like a draught pint (pre Nitrogen/co2). But then Nitro/Co2 and widgets were developed.

So perhaps we can thank Guinness for the pocket beer engine. :thumb:

I had heard before about using mixed gas from someone who used to work for Gales in the pre-Fullers days and had help set up pub cellars including kegged beers ( he had seen one of my cornies ). Looking further into why I found this article http://morebeer.com/articles/dispensing_and_serving_beer - with a normal tap it enables you to increase dispense pressure without adding carbonation. Getting the nitro served beers ( which I wouldn't want ) is more down to the tap itself.

As I run short lines I can use a very low dispense pressure so never looked any further as normal CO2 works perfectly. If you had to run long lines for whatever reason there could be some benefit IMHO.

Extract re use of Mixed Gas:

Mixed gas: As mentioned previously, nitrogen can help increase dispense pressure without increasing carbonation because it is far less soluble in beer than catbon dioxide. Because of nitrogen’s contribution of smaller, more consistent bubbles, using a mixed-gas blend for dispense can also contribute to increased foam stability (but not foam quality, which still comes from the carbon dioxide and components of the beer itself, mainly proteins and hop compounds). The appropriate mixture and pressure depend on whether the beer was gassed with straight carbon dioxide or with a nitrogen mixture. Blends of 70% N2 to 30% CO2 are common; check with your supplier to determine what is right for your system.

CO2/N2 mixtures can be purchased in tanks, but bottled mixed gas can be unreliable in its composition. An expensive, but effective, alternative is to buy the nitrogen in bottles and mix it on-site with a system such as the Trumix (McDantim, Helena, Montana), which allows you to set the proportions of CO2 and N2 in the mixture.

To take advantage of the effect of the mixed gas on the beer’s presentation, you need a special type of faucet. These faucets work in the same way as normal faucets, but they have a special disk inside to force the nitrogen out of solution when the beer is poured. The disk is made of metal or plastic and usually has five tiny holes in it. This forces the gas out and creates the cascading effect and smooth creamy head that are expected from nitro beers. These faucets may be harder to get apart than conventional faucets; cleaning might be limited to simply soaking the entire faucet in the “open” position and rinsing it well.

To really affect the foam quality, you would need to actually condition the beer with nitrogen, a process which, because of nitrogen’s relative insolubility, can take quite a while. An alternative to conditioning in the keg or tank has recently been introduced to the United States. The device can introduce the desired blend, or straight nitrogen, into uncarbonated beer directly in-line from the keg or tank to the faucet by way of a highly efficient membrane transfer. The system allows pressures higher than blending units can match, which allows for a level of conditioning truly equivalent to a draft Guinness in Dublin. The device also allows for on-the-fly adjustment of the conditioning level. (Look for upcoming issues of BT for more on mixed gas dispense and nitrogenation.)

Latest posts

Back