What is actually happening when the beer is maturing?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnell88

Reaction score
In primary fermentation you are turning the sugar to alcohol. In secondary, again, you are turning the sugar to alcohol; however, this time to preserve it and give it fizz. What is happening as the beer is maturing after secondary fermentation?

I bottled my beer, left it 4 days; however, could not help myself but to try one. It was pretty tangy and yeasty, but I managed the bottle. Dont want to waste any ;P. How does the taste improve the longer you leave it?

What is the cut of point, generally speaking, when the beers taste will no longer improve anymore with time?

I had a cider, and during primary fermentation I had the old rhino farts; the egg smell was bad.

I bottled it, and tried it after a week; it tastes revolting. I ended up pouring half of them away a month later as it tasted of egg and I could smell it when I opened them.

I hadn't got round to pouring the others away, but when I decided to, as anyone would, I tried one again. It was pretty good; The smell had gone, the taste was fine, dare I say it was divine.

This cider took 4 months to get rid of the bad yeast smell. Does the yeast die or something?

I would really appreciate some explanation as to what happens over the months we all hope we could wait for our beer to be it's best. :P.

Thanks, :cheers:

What is happening as the beer is maturing after secondary fermentation?
The simple, but conversely most complex answer is, a lot. A book could be written on the reactions that take place when a beer matures, and that's only what's presently understood!

My advice to you is to see first hand what happens. What's happening is only important as much as whether it improves the beer to your tastes, and only you can say what's to your tastes :thumb:

Back