What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kernel is an awesome brewery and I appreciate that they still bottle as opposed to can. I've hijacked their Pale Ale yeast to make a beer before by using the residue at the bottom of three bottles and making a starter. If I tried cloning one of their beers, I'd probably do something similar, but understandable if you don't try that with bottles of their stronger ones. Almost like a big homebrewer and they do things right.

I'm pretty sure they (at least used to) use US-05 in most of their beers.

I'm pretty sure they (at least used to) use US-05 in most of their beers.
The book does say it’s a house yeast but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t US05 to start with. Suggested yeast is WLP013 London ale. I used CML clipper.

Fermentation seems to be ok, flavour very interesting and it’s time to dry hop which I have never done to a dark beer before.

Today I’m brewing 15 litres of a Double Maxim Brown Ale
2800g MO
100g Medium crystal
70g Chocolate malt
70g Wheat malt
50g Roasted Barley
23g Challenger @ 45m
15g Fuggles @ 15m
CML Midland

I'll be interested to know how this turns out. I used to work for Vaux brewery when they made Double Maxim. This was in the days where I would have looked at you blankly if you'd said something technical like 'hops' :laugh8:. Its now in the hands of Maxim brewery set up by some of the ex-Vaux Directors and staff.

Finished it couple of hours ago I was aiming at an OG of 1046 and 4.7% but it came out at 1049 and an anticipated 4.9%. I will let you know in about 4-6 weeks what it’s like, but I’ve never tasted the original.

Just bottled a short batch of @Twostage 's Louie.

Brewed short to give OG if 1.071 that fermented (4.5L) to 1.017, then back liquored at bottling time to give 5% ABV

Attachments

• 17281456150733210587894062198303.jpg
    17281456150733210587894062198303.jpg
    34.5 KB
A user-upper yesterday. My plan was to make a Kolsch, had a recipe and ingredients ready to go then I realised my stock levels of conditioned beer was running out so switched to something that didn't need to be lagered. So it was a mix of Vienna, Munich 1, dextrin and amber. Hops were Citra, Aurora and Celeia hops. Fermenting with Voss Kviek at 30c.

First time I've constructed a recipe on the fly in the brewshed, weighing bags of grain and hops and sticking the result into BrewFather until I had something like beer.

Bottled it (as in put the beer in bottles as opposed to didn't do it). 1.047 down to 1.008. Tasted really good from the sample. Hope its as nice after it has fizzed up.

(Accidentally double primed one of the bottles. Afterwards it occurred to me I should have put a mark on so I knew which one it was. I'm sure it will be fine :eek:)

Latest posts

Back