What are you drinking tonight 2023.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been tidying the garage all day, and treated myself to a patersbier from @Caramel Ox as a reward.

Please excuse the cloudiness - that was due to my pouring rather than the beer itself. The top half of the glass poured perfectly clear, then I got excited and the yeast came out.

No head... It was like cider.

Ding ding, ring the bell. My word, this is a fine beer. Lovely aromas of gently browned toast. Wow. This is lovely. Perfect carbonation. Light but full malt flavour, that gentle biscuity type. The malt flavour is perfectly balanced with a light bitterness from the hops, which are present but not a lot more, which is exactly what I'd like from a Belgian blonde ale (which is pretty much what this looks and feels like).

This is amazing for a 3.5% beer, and I could imagine the monks drinking, but then I realised it was 5.3% and that's where the extra flavour came from 🤦.

Did the head vanish? Yes. Did it have lacing? No. Do I care? Not on your nelly! I don't stare at the beer whilst drinking it and I honestly "how much it sticks to a glass" I don't care a jot about what's left in the glass at the end. All I care about is how nice it smells on the way to your face, and how delicious it is as you drink it - and you've delivered a cracker here! Top job! 👍 (Are you entering it into the monthly Belgian comp?)

PXL_20230723_165147482.jpg

I've been tidying the garage all day, and treated myself to a patersbier from @Caramel Ox as a reward.

Please excuse the cloudiness - that was due to my pouring rather than the beer itself. The top half of the glass poured perfectly clear, then I got excited and the yeast came out.

No head... It was like cider.

Ding ding, ring the bell. My word, this is a fine beer. Lovely aromas of gently browned toast. Wow. This is lovely. Perfect carbonation. Light but full malt flavour, that gentle biscuity type. The malt flavour is perfectly balanced with a light bitterness from the hops, which are present but not a lot more, which is exactly what I'd like from a Belgian blonde ale (which is pretty much what this looks and feels like).

This is amazing for a 3.5% beer, and I could imagine the monks drinking, but then I realised it was 5.3% and that's where the extra flavour came from 🤦.

Did the head vanish? Yes. Did it have lacing? No. Do I care? Not on your nelly! I don't stare at the beer whilst drinking it and I honestly "how much it sticks to a glass" I don't care a jot about what's left in the glass at the end. All I care about is how nice it smells on the way to your face, and how delicious it is as you drink it - and you've delivered a cracker here! Top job! 👍 (Are you entering it into the monthly Belgian comp?)

View attachment 88184
Hmmm... I may have been in the garage all afternoon, but are you sure it's only 5.3%? I just went to the kitchen to start cooking and my wobbleometer says it must be stronger than that 😂

Hmmm... I may have been in the garage all afternoon, but are you sure it's only 5.3%? I just went to the kitchen to start cooking and my wobbleometer says it must be stronger than that 😂
I checked my notes it finished at 1.005 so couldn’t have gone much further even if the wb06 found something else to munch.

You are very generous- I liked the Patersbier but I didn’t send it for the monthly as I felt it was too old at 100 days already.

In one of those contrarian outcomes I worked out this was one of the cheapest possible brews. The yeast was repitched from the wit so cost nothing, not many hops so final cost of 20p/ pint. Half MO which was my base malt and half europils.

I’m having a sneaky peek at ‘Imp Mask’, my RIS.
It’s already helped deliver @phildo79 into an advanced state of refreshment, so I’m slightly nervous 😬.
It weighed in at 7.5% but doesn’t taste boozy at all. There’s tonnes of raisin and dark cherry from the Special B, but I think there’s room for a bit more roast in the recipe. (I did have some chocolate rye on hand for the brew day then completely forgot when I finalised the recipe😖)
IMG_2192.jpeg

I liked the Patersbier but I didn’t send it for the monthly as I felt it was too old at 100 days already
3 months isn't too long, provided you don't keep beer in the attic. My BLAM entry got brewed in March to give it at least 6 months aging before being ready. I find Belgian ales improve with a bit of storage

3 months isn't too long, provided you don't keep beer in the attic. My BLAM entry got brewed in March to give it at least 6 months aging before being ready. I find Belgian ales improve with a bit of storage
If bottle conditioned I agree... reaching peak condition at 3-4 months 👌🏼

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back