What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It should be about £11 a bottle - well worth it in my opinion.
Ha ha ha sorry
This is the first that came up in my search
Bit of a price difference lol
See now that it’s for a case 😴

Attachments

• 54F000C2-B3D5-4C72-AEB7-F19915500E49.png
    54F000C2-B3D5-4C72-AEB7-F19915500E49.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 48
All this wine talk's got me craving some red. All I've got around the house is my star anise mead. Well, it was due a taster!
PXL_20210320_182154186.jpg

It's surprisingly refreshing. Sweet and a bit herbaly. I might have to make this a habit.

First Tasting: AG#66 American Stout

20210320_163752.jpg

As you can see from the picture it's pretty much black - it's a stout, what else would you expect? But actually the head is much more tan in the flesh than the cream it looks in the photo.

Carbonation is a little low - I like it low-ish but it could do with just a touch more: this was fermented with BRY-97 which I'm still getting used to. I've used MJ M36 in a BIPA a few times which seems to ferment a bit more in the bottle so I probably played it over-cautious with the priming sugar. No need for such concerns with BRY-97 it would seem.

Aroma is quite hoppy - more than I'd have expected considering there was no dry hop, just a whirlpool.

Mouthfeel is decent enough - it's certainly not a thick Imperial Stout or Baltic Porter but I think it punches above the modest 3.8% ABV.

Flavour is really nice, lots going on: It's hoppy, quite fruity. I definitely get some bitter chocolate flavours. It's roasty but not too roasty and it's bitter but not too bitter, which combines to quite a dry finish.

I tried my most recent BIPA after this, which is not a million miles away in terms of malt and almost identical in hopping - the BIPA is nice but a bit lacking in the malt department, I much prefer the additional malt character of this American Stout.

Only a couple of things I'd change - the carbonation, which is easily fixed next time. And I'd probably change the hops: I think the Simcoe works but I'd probably leave out the Amarillo and Citra, which are maybe a bit fruity, and try something a bit more dank or piney/resiney - some combination of Centennial, Chinook and/or Columbus springs to mind.

Ha ha ha sorry
This is the first that came up in my search
Bit of a price difference lol
See now that it’s for a case 😴

That was my last bottle so I’ve just ordered another half-dozen. You can buy from Laithwaites or Amazon at the same price. Six bottles were £73.99 so they have gone up a little at £12.33 each but I don’t mind that for a really nice wine as an occasional treat.

That was my last bottle so I’ve just ordered another half-dozen. You can buy from Laithwaites or Amazon at the same price. Six bottles were £73.99 so they have gone up a little at £12.33 each but I don’t mind that for a really nice wine as an occasional treat.
Might get a few in as I like a good glass of full bodied red.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back