Water for Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Endatheworld

Reaction score
All, I have always used 5.2 powder before but I am planning on treating my water this time instead. I am making a Lager using the Budvar yeast. As this is a Pilsner I will need make sure the water is soft enough. I have tested my water. The water has a total alkalinity of 165 mg/l CaCO3 and Calcium content of 70 mg/l.

I am planning on using some CRS to get the alkalinity down to about 20 mg/l. Is there anything else I need to do to get the water correct. Do I need to add Calcium? Do I need to concern myself with other ions in the water? Comments welcome.

Endatheworld said:
I am making a Lager using the Budvar yeast. As this is a Pilsner I will need make sure the water is soft enough.

Actually it matters not what the hardness of the water is, what is important is the alkalinity, which needs to be below 25mg/L

Endatheworld said:
I have tested my water. The water has a total alkalinity of 165 mg/l CaCO3 and Calcium content of 70 mg/l.

Ok, you know what is in your water, so you know where you need to get to

Endatheworld said:
I am planning on using some CRS to get the alkalinity down to about 20 mg/l. Is there anything else I need to do to get the water correct. Do I need to add Calcium? Do I need to concern myself with other ions in the water?

Possibly treat the water with 1/2 a campden tablet first to remove chlorine (note . . . . not chloride). The CRS will remove the alkalinity, and leave your calcium intact, at 70mg/L it is high enough not to need any additions. Other things you need to know . . . Sulphate level . . ideally you need this to be quite low as it will accentuate the high hop bitterness which can make it quite harsh. Chloride level ideally you need this to be at least twice to three times the sulphate level . . . you can adjust this by adding calcium chloride.

Having said all that these are minor tweaks that will only produce a noticeable change if you have a sound brewing technique.

Thanks Aleman, I will just use Campden and CRS for now as I don't have the test kits for Sulphate level and Chloride level.

I have test kits for total alkalinity and Calcium content. I have now used these tests to treat my water. It does add another level of interest to brewing and I am now thinking of looking at the other Ions but I cannot find tests for Sulphate level and Chloride Level.

Does anybody know if kits are available?

AKAIK there are no consumer test kits available . . . .url=http://www.palintest.com/products-details.aspx?id=22]Palintest[/url] do some tablet count kits for chloride and sulphate (expand the reagent information for details) . . . but they are expensive . . . and I would question the relevance. All I do is add a known amount of calcium (Using calcium sulphate or chloride) and accept that I will add a qty of one or the other . . . what that makes the final level is really unimportant.

Alkalinity is the most important factor to measure and control, then calcium to ensure you have sufficient . . . the rest are pretty much unimportant as long as you remember that sulphate enhances bitterness and chloride mouthfeel and maltiness . . . what the levels are is unimportant you choose the treatment salt for the beer style you are brewing.

Latest posts

Back