Very High Alcohol Stout Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aneray

Landlord.
Reaction score
Following on from a stout I made with an ABV of just under 10%, is there a yeast available which would brew to 15%.

Cheers Neil

you will be looking at wine yeasts at that abv, also you will need to rouse them weekly to stop them going dorment in that much alcohol. You may be looking at a long fermentation and conditioning process for full flavours to develop.

Brewlabs High Gravity is pretty good, and there is always Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale, which can go pretty damn high.

Avoid wine yeasts as the main yeast at all costs . . . use it as a last resort, and remember that it will finish high anyway. . . . an 1.150 beer will finish around 1.040 . . . unless you use a beta amylase supplement . . . or perhaps amyloglucosidase in the mash

Thanks to Vossey, Aleman and Prolix for the replies, they have been a great help. Will study the process a little more before attempting the brew I think

Cheers Neil

aneray said:
Following on from a stout I made with an ABV of just under 10%, is there a yeast available which would brew to 15%.

Cheers Neil

US-05 dry yeast should get there just fine, I have used it to get an IIPA up to 15% abv in the past. Make sure to pitch enough though, at that starting gravity 3 11gr sachets should do it.

Also its a good idea if possible to add sugars slowly to the mix. dogfish head do a beer at 18% using this method.

I've used WYeast scottish ale yeast for my strong beers - I've taken it up to 12% and it did it pretty quickly at 20C. For some reason the White labs version won't do it :?: :?:

Make sure you get some cold break material into the wort or boil with a yeast nutrient so the yeast has enough food to make it. As mentioned - you may need to rouse it >9% (not the case with the Wyeast above)

Good luck

Back