Using older grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have quite a bit of grain of various types been sat in airtight containers for around 12 months. Would you brew with it or bin it?

I have quite a bit of grain of various types been sat in airtight containers for around 12 months. Would you brew with it or bin it?
Brew with it. Even milled grain is good for a couple of years or more if stored properly. Whole grain a tad longer.

Just consider it to be maturing your beer in advance of brewing it! :laugh8:

2 for brew, 1 for bin, perhaps I should have created a poll :laugh8:
It is all milled as it happens.
OK going on the above ratio I'll plan to brew with it unless the ratio swings the other way in the next few days

I look at it this way, you have had it for 12 months, the LHB unknown how long, when it was malted. Unless you have the date it was bagged by the maltster you are flying blind. For a few dollars worth of grain which 'could' be past its use-by date which you are going to spend several hours transforming into beer, and it will be beer, but is the uncertainty that it would not be as fine a beer as it could be with fresh ingredients. Fresh ingredients do make a difference. Things can't be so bad in the UK that one can't afford a few dollars to replace old grain?

I look at it this way, you have had it for 12 months, the LHB unknown how long, when it was malted. Unless you have the date it was bagged by the maltster you are flying blind. For a few dollars worth of grain which 'could' be past its use-by date which you are going to spend several hours transforming into beer, and it will be beer, but is the uncertainty that it would not be as fine a beer as it could be with fresh ingredients. Fresh ingredients do make a difference. Things can't be so bad in the UK that one can't afford a few dollars to replace old grain?
Well it depends on the type of grain I suppose. If it is a base grain then my guess is that it will not have been on the shelf in the HBS long. What is fresh? Well the bag of pale malt I bought the last time was good for two years and they will have factored in a safety margin. Each to their own but I would say malt under 3 years old is good to brew with and expect a good quality beer as a result.

You are correct that I would not wish to waste a day making a beer that is not up to scratch, but it's not about the cost more about the wastage.

Back