Typical Brew Day?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Collo

Reaction score
So I've read some of the threads on here and watched loads of YouTube vids, but I'm curious how long a typical brew day is for you? I will be doing my first AGB in the next couple of weeks, and wanted to know how much time realistically i need to plan for.

I may have posted this in the wrong section - sorry, if i have could a mod/admin move it for me please.

This is the "Brewdays" section so right place - you are a bit early in the day.

I have done a few AG brews - it all depends how organised you are and if there are no issues/accidents.

I generally made sure there would be no distraction, reserve the kitchen for all morning.
Haven't done full size AG for a few years but from memory started around 6 am and finished by 12 noon, including cleaning and tidying up.

What helps is to get everything together the evening before and put in situ if possible. Weigh out ingredients and label containers. Check out anything electrical you are going to use mains/battery just in case.

Good luck ... and don't have a beer on the side whilst brewing .... perhaps consider cooling the wort overnight.

First...do a "dry run" on what you intend to do...where your kit will go,the order you will do things etc.
Get a brew sheet or note book to..keep notes!
Pick a day that doesn't involve picking kids up,going shopping,DIY!
My brew day typically lasts 5 hours...you want to add a couple on...just in case!

What he said. A dry run, with water! Yup, a wet run. Many benefits.

How long... first one all day. Practised hands 5 to 6 hours.

I have given up long brewdays, but you need to do a few before you can go overnight. Woke up to boil today, took me 10mins to lift the mash out and pop my lid on, and press boil. I will nip back again in 45 minutes to add my first hops after hot break. Currently having a cuppa and typing this. Happy brewdays everyone 👍

Thanks guys, i had 6-7hrs in my head, so it will have to be a weekend realistically for me.
Weighing everything out the night before is a good shout, and i intended on getting a notebook, it seems to be one of the most recommended things to do. I'm not expecting it to go to plan, so i will make sure i have the whole day free haha

Get familiar with the controller to. Particularly go though what you do when... And you flick to manual mode.

You don't say where you are brewing.. Cos that can make a BIG difference.

PS. just nipped over and popped the first hops in. Now another cuppa. It doesn't have to be hard, it can & does for into modern life.

Once you have done a couple, you'll work out what you can fit round your brew day too.
Then it becomes a matter of setting timers, like stir the mash every X(your preferred value) and hop/protofloc addition timing during the boil.

The part I find most variable is the sparge, as the rate of filtering through the grain bed can vary wildly (due to things like malt crush - did this batch come from the top or bottom of the 25kg sack)

It also depends on the equipment you have. I have a Burco boiler that I use to prepare my strike water and later my sparge water. I use a timer and have the strike water ready in the morning at close enough to the correct temperature,
I also have a step by step procedure printed out beforehand, just to avoid any omissions.
As others have said, have the ingredients prepared beforehand, I use those small sacks that GEB put their kits in (woven plastic with a liner - something like a coal sack, but lined). That way I can just pour into the mash tun without lots of weighing and measuring involved, just stir in gradually.

I don't use the temperature controller on my Klarstein. It's too coarse, I just make sure my strike temp is right, insulate the tun and leave, checking and stirring every 20 minutes. On 90 minute mashes I have to turn it on for a couple of minutes to keep the temp stable.

Once I have the mash going, I prepare the sparge water in the Burco, so that's ready when needed. The Burco holds about 25 litres, so ample for both jobs with a refill after strike water is decanted.

I boil outdoors, so it has to be a dry day. If I start at around 8am, the boil is usually finished before 12. I have two wort chillers, so I link them together, one at the bottom and one at the top. They get me down to pitching temp in about half an hour or so. Cleaning is done as and when items are finished with, so usually finished everything by lunch time.

Ps. Probably the best beer (timer) in the world.

20241018_091243.jpg

Latest posts

Back