Typical Brew Day?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brew sessions also typically take 5-6 hrs, but it doesn't need attending all that time and I like to potter around in my shed or garden doing other things during the day.
Start with washing and sterilising pan and all equipment then getting water on the hob heating for the mash, while I wait ( around 40mins ) I weigh out the grains.
Once the mash is underway I leave it for 75 - 90 mins, often I'll walk the dogs at this point.
Upon return, squeeze the bag then back on the hob where it'll take another 30-40 mins to get up to boil.
This is the only part of the process where I don't leave the pan, once boiling
on a low flame it just a case of keeping an eye on timings for hop additions.
At the end of the boil grain goes in a bucket for local chickens, hop trub goes on compost heap and a thorough cleaning for pan,spider, etc.
Either I'll chill overnight in brewfridge or using immersion chiller it takes around 30 mins to get to pitch temp.

Not sparging saves a lot of time and hassle for the expense of a little extra grain so may be a good idea for your first brew but everyone has their own preferences and other folk will probably tell you otherwise !
I'd also advise getting a free account on Brewfather to keep a log of your brews and make your own recipes.

Either way, enjoy your first all grain brewing and beer !

Latest posts

Back