Slow fermentation? Help please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garylewis1966

Reaction score
I'd really appreciate some guidance on my current brew, an Edme Irish Stout. It's been in the fv for 10 days now at about 18 - 19C. First hydrometer reading today is 1.016. I've ditched the instructions so don't know if this is usual but its definately taking longer to ferment than other beers I've brewed. I forgot to take the OG and had to leave the fv in a basin of cold water for a few day after starting it a tad too warm (not a good start). For past 5 days I've kept the fv tucked up in a duvet so it doesn't get too cold (yep, probably should have brought it in from the garage). So, if I haven't been clear enough, my question is whether my temperature is too cold to ferment adequately and whether its a problem being 1.016 at this time?

Cheers
:cheers:

If the temp got too low the yeast would have slowed down. You probably started at about 1.050 so it is fermenting. Slow and easy is the best way to go. Patience and don't worry. Yeasties are very obedient and tollerant little bugs who just love making alcohol no matter what we do to them. :D

Thanks for your reply bobsbeer, feel better already.

Edme Irish Stout is a one tin kit and I added two 454g jars of Holland and Barrett liquid malt and 400g Billington's dark brown unrefined sugar with 21 litres of water, and would like to think it'll be about 4.5%.

Never used unrefined sugar before and read on the forum that it's good in a stout, so we'll see. I also read that this kit is best left bottled for 12 weeks, so it'll be hard to resist.

this kit is best left bottled for 12 weeks, so it'll be hard to resist
Stouts need time to condition and mature. Give it time and enjoy. Put on a bitter which will condition a bit sooner to enjoy while you are waiting.

Back