size of fridge for modding to put FV in.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveDesign

Reaction score
ok, so im looking at possibly picking up a cheap fridge and modding to store my FV after my recent temperature wowes.

Question is will a integrated ( you know the ones that look like they are part of your kitchen cabinets!) type fridge be big enough for a 5gal bucket and heater? it's says a larder fridge.

or do i need the space of an under worktop larder type fridge?

I can fit a 45 Litre fermenter one of them integrated undercounter fridges, so you should be fine. I also have a 1 litre glass bottle filled with starsan solution in there that I put the temperature probe in.

You can't fit an airlock on as well, but I don't think they're necessary inside a nice clean fridge.

I can also fit the heater in the bottom under the fermenter as well.

Heres my fermentor in my fridge, the heater is under the shelf.

DSCF0390.jpg

Just tried getting my FV's in my old fridge - no go :oops:
BUT it is the older tyoe with a freezer compartment at the top.

Looks like freecylce for it :grin:

hairybiker said:
Just tried getting my FV's in my old fridge - no go :oops:
BUT it is the older tyoe with a freezer compartment at the top.

Looks like freecylce for it :grin:

If it is just thin metal making up the freezer compartment you can bend it back and make more room. Aleman recommends it in this thread on Jim's.

I've also seen posts where people have successfully bent the freezer compartment down/backwards and then open a bit more. Take care as most freezer compartments have coolant lines/channels in them (and pipes leading to them at the back) that mustn't be broken or the gas will escape. Probably worth a try if its no good to you otherwise, though, many people seem to get away with it.

Cheers
kev

I have done the bending the freezer compartment thing to one of my fridges but I do have a bit of a problem with it.

When the fridge cuts in the cooling panel very quickly gets a nice coating of ice all over it, when it cuts out it all thaws out and drips on whatever is in the fridge.

It's OK for keg storage, but I'm not sure I'd want to put a fermenter in mine.

Other people have had success though so it could be a one off problem for me.

StubbsPKS said:
If it is just thin metal making up the freezer compartment you can bend it back and make more room. Aleman recommends it in this thread on Jim's.

No I physically cant get the door shut with the FV in it. Possibly if I removed the door gubbins it would fit but ....

I removed the door shelving etc and then cut out some foam so the tap fits in its own little cut away.

:twisted: Door is GLUED ON.

Freecycled it as it may do someone some good, and asked for a larder type one (you never know) :party:
There are several up at the "dump" but wonder what is wrong with them :wha:

hairybiker said:
:twisted: Door is GLUED ON.

Freecycled it as it may do someone some good, and asked for a larder type one (you never know) :party:
There are several up at the "dump" but wonder what is wrong with them :wha:

I just lucked out yesterday and found a larder fridge for £35 delivered to my door :) Took the door guts out today and buying the rest of the stuff I need to hook up the temp controller tomorrow!

Picked up a larder fridge today also, £30 ebay :clap: Now to order me the controller and heater :D

The fridge i got is too small, won't be able to fit an airlock on my 5gal bucket :rofl:

Never mind, think i have thought of a work around!!!!!!

But that will teach me for not getting a tape measure out!!!!!!! :wha: :cheers:

prolix said:
blow off tube and 90 elbow :hmm:

That just sounds kinky!! :grin:

My train of thought was tube into the grommet my airlock used to go, down into a open top bottle of sterile water or vodka.

Co2 can still escape and buble up through the liquid, oxygen and debris can't enter the tube through the liquid.

my only worries are, will the co2 travel the length of tube? and could water/vodka back syphon?
although i think the secound is very unlikely as it doesn't happen with an airlock.??

I do my best thinking after a few beers! :drunk: :D

Back