No chill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To my understanding, placing in the wort would be more effective than diluting the chill factor throughout the gallons of surrounding water.
Plenty have done that using mainly 2 litre pop bottles usually not directly in the wort(although some have) but usually used in large buckets around the FV etc.

It’s economical on the water, but you still need energy to freeze them. On holiday, no means to calculate how much ice you really would need to chill down to 20 degrees Celsius per liter of hot wort.

I know this part of the thread is quite old, and everyone seems to have given their two-penneth on the subject of cooling, but I would like to ask if anyone can find fault with a cooling method I have come up with. If it has already been put forward then I am not as clever as I think I am, but I can live with that.
I like to think it is cheap, simple and eco-friendly, three things I have personally been called.
Freeze tap water in plastic containers, take out when frozen. Vacuum seal the blocks leaving space for expansion in the bag when they thaw, and toss them back in the freezer. When ready, chuck into hot wort, and hey presto. Take out the bags of water, wash and re-freeze for next time.
All responses welcome.
Yup. Milk cartons in my case. I hold 2 x 25l frozen jerry cans for emergencies.

Bit tedious though. Why not just come back tomoz?

It’s economical on the water, but you still need energy to freeze them. On holiday, no means to calculate how much ice you really would need to chill down to 20 degrees Celsius per liter of hot wort.

About 5 x 4 pint milk cartons and 3 lengths of tedium.

Better and quicker just keep for adjusting temps say 25c to 22c.
Or just let the coil do it.

Ice imo is for emergency tweaks only really.

Roughly, in a perfect world 800g of ice will chill 1 litre of water from 100C to 20C (according to my circa 1964 physics 🤔)

Thanks, but my freezer is using energy whether I freeze water pouches or not. I take your point about not being able to quantify the cooling effect, although I still maintain that the temp drop would affect the wort alone and not the external bath. I was surprised at the temp drop when I tried it out on a gallon of boiling water. Admittedly it would take a lot of ice packs to cool a five gallon bin, but every little helps.
Thanks for your input though, and enjoy the rest of your holiday.

I have used no chill in the past and not noticed any difference. Couple of things about using the Jerry cans though. I have put can in a tub of cold water and replaced it to speed up cooling (I realise this is using water which you said you wanted to avoid but it is considerably less than a chiller). Secondly, when pouring into the Jerry. An into the FV you are able to really aerate it just before pitching

Back