No boil brewing.......

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does no boil beer need longer conditioning time
Not that I'm away of, but boiling and not boiling seem to give different flavours. And then there's the issue of protein coagulation- there's no hot or cold break. I think it's worth trying though.

Just about to try my first no boil brew, a pineapple and mango no boil recipe tweaked to my liking from the David heath original and scaled to my GF 30. Anyone else here a regular no boil brewer? I like the idea of using this method (if it turns out well of course........) to squeeze in a brew day when time may be limited. Looking forward to using omega hot head yeast again as well, always liked the results from this strain.

I did this:

20/11/2019 -
12 litres water
5litres mango juice drink - asda
3 litres pineapple juice - asda
1 mj cider yeast
1 kg extra light dme
1 kg dwe

pitched at 22

1.047 finished on 26/11/2019!!
1.010 = 4.86%

no boil and no hops.

I do not boil the wort when I make 10 litre extract brews, but I steep my grains using my sous vide at 68c and boil my hops separately in a pan with some DME for 30 mins.

Thinking of trying a no boil recipe. What would happen if you put the hops in during the mash?

Give it a go! I considered it when I did my no boil IPA but settled for adding a dose in when it was at mash out and holding for 15. Worked nicely IMO

No boil was definitely one of the well received beers among friends and family

You could always just reduce your boil time. Here is the method that I have used with good results.

Steep grains in 6L of water (7L if there are a lot of grains).
Remove, add FWH and bring to boil.
Once boil is achieved, allow to boil for 20 or 30 mins, depending on your hop additions.
Add to FV with cold water.

The length of time it takes to reach boil, plus boil time and the time before you add to the FV, Is plenty to extract the required bittering from the FWH.

Latest posts

Back