Newbi here

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phrozenballs

Reaction score
Hi guys complete novice here the names mark im 39 from south wales (cardiff area) and im sure im going to ask plenty of questions being a noobie and would be great ful for any tips

Thought i would start off with kits to get a little bit of knowledge i have just finished a beverdale chablis blush here is how it went

Im going to let it sit for 14 days before bottling and corking
heres the history of it (the rooms temp has stayed between 20-21)

it was prep'ed and put in a bucket on the 25th aug - with a reading of 1081 on the hydrometer at 21deg
it took 2 days to start bubbling and it started slowing on the 30th so i took a reading and it was 1006 so i racked it
On the 04th sept it really slowed so i took a reading and it was just a little over 990 so i added the stabiliser and racked it again
I Spent 3 days degassing it and the reading was the same every day just over 990
on the 7 sept i added part 1 of the finnings and on the 8th i added the second part
today i racked it again and had a lil taste heres how it looked i bottled 1 bottle to leave in the kitched to see if anything happens and heres the glass my wife had after its been in the fridge for 6hrs se said it was nice but could tell it was a new wine

*CANT ADD THE PIC FOR SOME REASON*

Just a few questions if you could help

I have got it in a 25l fv with airlock fitted and theres a bubble passing through every ten minutes or so is this normal

When i cork it how long does it take to condition to a better taste than a 3 week old wine lol

How much distace should i leve in the top of the bottle from the cork please

Whats the best labels to use and where can i get them please , dont want nothing fancy just something i can keep the date it was bottled and what it was

Hi Mark & welcome to the wonderful world of home brew :cheers:

1. Yes, every 10 mins sounds normal for late on in a ferment, don't rely on airlock bubbles though. You need to take a gravity reading with a hydrometer. It should be falling as the ferment progresses, once it's stopped for 2 days it's time to bottle. The lids on fermenters are not usually airtight.
2. pass. I make beer
3. 2-3 cm
4. Labels are a personal choice, I like pre-gummed & cut printer labels like these because I have access to a colour laser printer at work. The down side is they can be hard to get off, but I find they peel off ok if I fill the bottle with hot water and let it soften the glue. A lot recommend milk as a glue with labels just cut out of standard paper. This comes off a lot easier.

thanks guys :cheers: also got a rioja on the go now and going to start another rose wine for the wife lol all for xmas but then i can crack on with what i wanted to start this for and that was bitter and cider lol been reading reviews online and the berry on the rocks has had some good reviews so may try that first

Hi and welcome, the reason you can't post pictures is you need to have posted 5 posts before you can add external links, it's an anti spamming measure.
We hold an annual meet each year, the spring thing, click on the link above to sign up to the news letter.

dennisking said:
Hi and welcome, the reason you can't post pictures is you need to have posted 5 posts before you can add external links, it's an anti spamming measure.
We hold an annual meet each year, the spring thing, click on the link above to sign up to the news letter.
Ok thanks for info , understandable protecting a forum from abuse

Dave1970 said:
Hi Mark & welcome to the wonderful world of home brew :cheers:

thankyou fella for info and link to labels , its easy to get the labels off thats my wifes job :rofl:

thanks again peeps :cheers: :thumb: lol still trying to post photos of said wine but still getting "Your post looks too spamy for a new user, please remove off-site URLs." :rofl:

phrozenballs said:
thanks again peeps :cheers: :thumb: lol still trying to post photos of said wine but still getting "Your post looks too spamy for a new user, please remove off-site URLs." :rofl:

I believe you may have to have made 5 posts AND be a member for more than 5 days, then you should be ok :thumb:

joey1002 said:
phrozenballs said:

I believe you may have to have made 5 posts AND be a member for more than 5 days, then you should be ok :thumb:
ta :thumb:

Latest posts

Back