New batch. Wot no bubbling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antonylj

Reaction score
Hi guys.

After quite a successful 1st attempt at home brew and some great help from the forum here, I decided to jump into batch no.2

It's a Young's, American IPA. Mixed according to instructions, same as my successful amber ale 2 months ago, but after leaving the mix to ferment on Saturday, I've not noticed ANY activity through the air lock.

The only difference is I've fitting an S air lock as they seem a bit more fool proof and solid than the 2 part Young's air lock.

Temp sitting between 22 and 24 degrees on thermometer adhered to the side of the fermenting bucket.

Lift the lid and have a peek. Is there a tide mark or sign that a krausen existed? Did you check the SG with a hydrometer?

I'll have a look when I get home. Excuse the amateur response but. Krausen? What's that?
Looking at the bucket there's a definite tide mark from where the foaming has settled post mixing.

The starter SG reading was 1.052

Attachments

• 20200613_163616.jpg
    20200613_163616.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 48
Krausen is the crusty foam produced at the start of fermentation and can be inches thick. It subsides after a few days and leaves a 'scum' mark on the sides of the FV (fermentation vessel).

I'll have a look when I get home. Excuse the amateur response but. Krausen? What's that?
Looking at the bucket there's a definite tide mark from where the foaming has settled post mixing.

The starter SG reading was 1.052
No worries. Googled it. The tide mark shows it existed but it seems it's settled with no further krausen

Reading now 1.006 I believe.

That's a monster change within a week

Very bitty.

No krausen

Attachments

• 20200618_165952.jpg
    20200618_165952.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 50
My Youngs' IPA started ar 1.059 and finished at 1.008, so quite similar. Will you bottle or keg?

I will mix up with sugar into the keg then immediately siphon out with the tap on the keg into bottles. From there they can sit for 2 weeks.

This brew has had just 5 days fermenting so far... Never seen a bubble from the air lock.

Odd.

Just hope my brew is ok. Smells good.

Maybe the FV lid is a poor fit? Why not put an inch or so of water in and clip the lid on then turn upside down with a finger or fumb where the airlock would go, or a piece of duct tape or even a pen/pencil in it.

Maybe the FV lid is a poor fit? Why not put an inch or so of water in and clip the lid on then turn upside down with a finger or fumb where the airlock would go, or a piece of duct tape or even a pen/pencil in it.
Seemed solid enough for a fit. Clicked on tight. If I press down on the lid, it bubbles the air lock so does this not indicate a tight fit with no leaks else where?

I will mix up with sugar into the keg then immediately siphon out with the tap on the keg into bottles. From there they can sit for 2 weeks.

This brew has had just 5 days fermenting so far... Never seen a bubble from the air lock.

Odd.

Just hope my brew is ok. Smells good.
No more than 90g of sugar to your PB. Although PBs are fine for low carb beers like ales and stouts they are not designed to handle high carb beers like AIPAs and lagers. They are better in bottle. But the manufacturers and home brew shops dont tell you that. However even with 90g of sugar you will have more than enough pressure to dispense beer from the outset and may even get down to the bottom of the barrel without having to reprime or add CO2

Edit
Just reread your post. If you are bottling, ignore the above about PBs, although the advice is still sound if you are using a PB.

No more than 90g of sugar to your PB. Although PBs are fine for low carb beers like ales and stouts they are not designed to handle high carb beers like AIPAs and lagers. They are better in bottle. But the manufacturers and home brew shops dont tell you that. However even with 90g of sugar you will have more than enough pressure to dispense beer from the outset and may even get down to the bottom of the barrel without having to reprime or add CO2

Edit
Just reread your post. If you are bottling, ignore the above about PBs, although the advice is still sound if you are using a PB.
Thanks. Bonus of these Young's kits it that everything is measured out ready for you. I'm a beginner so perfect for me.

Still a bit concerned about this beer. Very few bubbles if any from air lock.
Are we suggesting that fermenting IS taking place ? And all is well.

Fermentation gets slower and slower but never totally *stops. When you bottle and prime you are restarting fermentation. Your beer at 1.006 is ready for bottling.

** well not for many weeks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back