OK to Add AMS (CRS) to Mash to reduce ph?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterAF

Reaction score
I am interesting is using AMS to reduce the pH of my Mash if necessary

The information I’ve found so far says I can add to the cold or hot liquor tank but doesn’t mention adding to the Mash if that has a pH too high

Is it ok to add to Mash?

Or should I just be getting my water treatment right at the start and the correct Mash pH will follow from there?

Cheers

Pete

Welcome aboard Peter.
Ams is a water treatment.
It works to reduce the alkalinity.
Do you know what your current alkalinity is?

You normally treat your water before mashing.

Is it ok to add to Mash
If you mean, add it to the mash after using it to treat the water, then I don't see why not, in principle. But adding it to the mash and sparge liquor which then goes into the mash is not the same because the HCland the H2SO4 which make up AMS have been changed into their calcium salts in reducing the residual alkalinity of the water so it's not like adding acid directly to the mash. Would you calculate how much you need or jyst keep adding until the pH is right? How would you distribute it evenly throughout the mash? I'd be inclined to go with the pH and then add a bit more to the mash water if the next brew.

Can you explain "if necessary"?
Hope you don't mind me asking, but it's making my mind bleed 🤣

Rereading. Got it.

You shouldn't need to add it to the mash if you adjusted the water first. So "if necessary " shouldn't arise.

If you share a postcode of a shop or office near you, it should be easy to work out and give you a better answer.

Thanks for the above.
Previously I did the water treatment but I still ended up with a mash with pH too high. So, I'm pondering how to deal with that if it occurs again.
I've seen lactic acid suggested in such a case. I just wondered if I could manage to aviod buying it if I already have some AMS.
Hopefully, my water treatment will mean this doesn't come up

Rereading. Got it.

You shouldn't need to add it to the mash if you adjusted the water first. So "if necessary " shouldn't arise.

If you share a postcode of a shop or office near you, it should be easy to work out and give you a better answer.
St Albans, UK - AL1

Back