Low Alcohol & Low Calorie

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5723.jpg

The alternative to Kaliber, or Swan Light.

I’ve been on water or green tea all week. The pull to AF beer isn’t particularly strong, but it’s Friday night so let’s go!

First up, Hazy AF from Brewdog. Nice tropical fruit hop aroma on pouring. The head disappeared in seconds. Pleasant tasting but lacks the body and silky mouthfeel I’d expect from a NEIPA inspired beer. Not bad, but not fantastic.

IMG_2772.jpeg

Seems there's a few of us on the alcohol free this month! I'm not normally one for a af beer but have a friends birthday tomorrow so have a 4 pack of ghost ship to take, I've heard it's one of the better ones..... Had a budweiser af last year and it was dreadful.

My other beer is Nanny State. Classic C-hop aromas, but thin bodied and overly bitter. It’s not for me.

View attachment 94648
May just be me but I find American IPA style NA beers really don’t seem to work that well, by contrast Stouts and some larger seem to turn out pretty well, with Guinness Zero being very much my first choice this year alongside Erdinger. Also it’s a tad more pricey but Nogne has a really good range of NA Stouts.

IMG_2359.jpeg

Beavertown Lazer Crush Alcohol Free IPA

After saying I don’t like AF IPA's I ended up having this in Nando’s (it was the only non alcoholic beer available) and it has made me rethink my stance on NA IPA’s. While not as good as an alcoholic IPA it was still pretty decent hop flavour was fairly soft and it did have a degree of mouthfeel although still a little thin.

In light of the current goings on with the low/AF free beers just a couple of questions....
Why do you drink beer?
Why drink the low/AF versions?
My answers...
I like beer and the results from drinking beer...ie. getting spangled. Plus everything seems better after a beer or five. I wouldn't go to the pub and drink just one beer. Some nights I've had a couple but it mostly feels a bit of a damp squib! So recently I've decided not to bother.
As for the low/AF I can understand cutting back etc but it's a conundrum!

In light of the current goings on with the low/AF free beers just a couple of questions....
Why do you drink beer?
My answers...
I like beer and the results from drinking beer...ie. getting spangled. Plus everything seems better after a beer or five. I wouldn't go to the pub and drink just one beer. Some nights I've had a couple but it mostly feels a bit of a damp squib! So recently I've decided not to bother.

I could copy and paste your first answer Clint. I tend to only drink 1 night a week and go for it, I can't be arsed with one.

I've never really drunk AF beers before and since I thought i'd give dry jan a try this year I thought i'd give them a go. I went to a birthday party on Saturday and it was quite nice to drink 'pints'. I've not been impressed though generally, and probably wouldn't bother again. Ghost Ship 0.5% being the exception so far.

I have only had 2 af beers in my life the first was in 1989 on my wedding day Kalibar the 2nd was 5 years ago and was Becks truely awful. so the overall concensus of this thread is af is Shi-e, i agree with Clint. just my opinion

I have only had 2 af beers in my life the first was in 1989 on my wedding day Kalibar the 2nd was 5 years ago and was Becks truely awful. so the overall concensus of this thread is af is Shi-e, i agree with Clint. just my opinion
I’ve used the last couple of weeks to sample several AF beers and found 3 beers I will keep in stock for other people that come round and want AF.

Trying a Guinness draught 0.0%.

Pours dark, not jet black (perhaps looks a little thin if being critical). Has a thin head which actually lasts ashock1. Aroma is of roast coffee.

So far, so good. Now this is where it usually goes Pete Tong... First sip... hmm, this is OK. Big mouthful... OK, this is pretty decent. Halfway down the glass and the thin head is still there and there is lacing on the glass.

This is the best af beer I have tried so far. It is better than some of those IPAs/pales that jump on the bandwagon as being hoppy but really aren't and is better than some normal stouts out there.

Why do you drink beer?
My answers...
I had about 6 weeks off beer after a heart op. I didn't have the strength to get a proper beer it was too risky to get one from the shed so Mrs DOJ got some AF's in. Ghost ship AF was as meh as the original so that was the most closest to real beer AF I've had. Additionally I was on some really awful meds not to be mixed with alcohol.

When I managed to get out in the garden on a cloudy day in mid December in south wales I was badly sunburnt on the bits of me I'd not covered. One of the meds made you highly photosensitive.

I'll not be repeating either experience again. The op or those AF beers.

Latest posts

Back