Group buying hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Reaction score
Does anyone do this already?

If not I'm considering buying in bulk and offering out the remaining hops for cost, with the hope of reducing brew costs.

What's the general concensus on doing this, has it been tried before?

Hi there Rocky,
I was considering exactly this issue, I'm also interested. One issue that occurred to me is location, I'm based in the NE of Scotland so would want to share with others in the same location to get any benefit from bulk buying.

I feel sure that some of the older long term members are already doing that. Some of them seem to know each other quite well.

I've got a vacuum sealer so was considering sealing the hops and mailing. Would have to cover the cost of vacuum bags and postage on top of the hops as well.

Suppose with £1-£1.50 postage would make 100g hops £2.50-£3 posted... Hmmm

ive bought hops from rob, the malt miller,[forum sponser]
they were great quality @ around £3 a 100g pack,

im sure he would be the best guy to contact with a view to buying in bulk.. :hmm:

ArtyB, just seen that you are a fellow Northamptonian too! :thumb:

the hops I was looking at buying from simply hops worked out to 82p per 100g. Was thinking of buying the 5kg, vacuuming them up in 100g bags and shipping. Total would be £2.30 ish including delivery.

If you are local though, we could save that extra cost! :cheers:

Well I'm NN4 and another brewing friend is in NN3, I know he'd be up for something like that!

If you can get a few of you together in the same area it's a great idea, I used to do it myself.
I used to sell them at cost too plus a few pence for the vac pac which aint cheap. I never liked the idea of folk 'making' money to cover their own purchase, that's just me, I liked to be able to 'help' other folk out.
Due to the sponsorship of the forum you wouldn't be able to use the forum to drive your sales, I hope you can understand why :thumb:

Keep an eye on SimplyHops in the new year ;)
I believe they have something planned that might make the idea of buying to split unnecessary :thumb:

I'm the same Vossy, I'm not interested in making money from it, just like the idea of bringing the costs down. Good beer brewed cheaper would taste a lot better! :D

Looking forward to seeing what simply hops have planned for the new year... Hopefully 100g packs will be available at the low prices of the 5kg bales! :thumb:

I've been looking at simply hops, seems like pretty good prices, I'm not aware of anywhere else that sells in bulk at the moment, but would appreciate any info. I'm looking to start buying in bulk and Vac packing and freezing the hops until needed, or offering them at cost to folks who want them.

Back