Small beer: Study calls on government to shrink pints

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A colossal amount of calories though. If you want to end up obese with type 2 diabetes beer is the best alcohol to help you achieve that aim.
Don't think this is true is it? Though there are plenty of calories in beer there is very little sugar and if anything the lower ABV beers have more sugar than higher ABV beers. The residual carbs in beer are mostly or exclusively complex carbs which don't cause the same amount of stress and in insulin spikes on your system as they take alot longer to process and break down so dont stress the system and cause insulin resistance that leads to Type 2 diabetes.

Type 2 diabetes is overwhelmingly a modern problem due to our modern diet., It was practically unheard of in my grandparents generation and before when they all lived off proper food and not super process stuff knocked out of highly industrialised factories from a variety of manufacturing processes you couldn't hope to replicate in your kitchen, and I think refined sugar and simple carbs is the prime problem, people have been drinking beer plenty over hundreds of years and Type 2 diabetes hasn't been a big issue before.

But doctors, the majority which dont necessarily know that much about nutrition as its not something they are formerly trained in, and there is very little proper science done around nutrition so nobody really knows and we're all part of a massive multi decade experiment about how diet affects our health, which isn't working out too well so far, but ultimately the doctors automatic playbook when it comes to anything that might be diet related is to cut out the alcohol. Just a standard line they trot out.

Half my family are doctors and work in the healthcare industry in come capacity and they all drink, so clearly they are not concerned with the often reported health risks that are trotted out by the media from sources that are more commercial than clinical.

Don't think this is true is it? Though there are plenty of calories in beer there is very little sugar and if anything the lower ABV beers have more sugar than higher ABV beers. The residual carbs in beer are mostly or exclusively complex carbs which don't cause the same amount of stress and in insulin spikes on your system as they take alot longer to process and break down so dont stress the system and cause insulin resistance that leads to Type 2 diabetes.

Type 2 diabetes is overwhelmingly a modern problem due to our modern diet., It was practically unheard of in my grandparents generation and before when they all lived off proper food and not super process stuff knocked out of highly industrialised factories from a variety of manufacturing processes you couldn't hope to replicate in your kitchen, and I think refined sugar and simple carbs is the prime problem, people have been drinking beer plenty over hundreds of years and Type 2 diabetes hasn't been a big issue before.

But doctors, the majority which dont necessarily know that much about nutrition as its not something they are formerly trained in, and there is very little proper science done around nutrition so nobody really knows and we're all part of a massive multi decade experiment about how diet affects our health, which isn't working out too well so far, but ultimately the doctors automatic playbook when it comes to anything that might be diet related is to cut out the alcohol. Just a standard line they trot out.

Half my family are doctors and work in the healthcare industry in come capacity and they all drink, so clearly they are not concerned with the often reported health risks that are trotted out by the media from sources that are more commercial than clinical.
Doctors went through a phase of always demanding to know how much you drink. Telling them an honest 40 units per week would get you a ten minute lecture on the evils of drink. On the other hand saying 2 or 3 pints a day would get the response, we'll that's not much is it?

Yeah and even the foundation of the recommended units of alcohol is not really based on science either. Politicians know that every year they will want the option of increasing duty on alcohol...like the motorist, those indulging in drinking are easy targets to keep squeezing for more and more and more tax so it is handy to push rhetoric demonising alcohol and the harms it does so people feel the government are justified when they start raising the taxes.

Its straight out of the Marxist playbook...keep them scared and you can manipulate the population all you like.

Back