going shiny but only 33ltre.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownsplit

Reaction score
I have decided to go for a 33ltre SS boiler 40 pints will be plenty for me,Just wanted to know if a 7.5 gas burner would be big enough for the boil and if anyone on here brews that way instead of electric elements any tips would be great, I am going to do a couple of extract brews first and then go AG.
I am a beginner with two kits under my belt so far and they were brilliant very enjoyable I would have willingly paid for them in a pub one was a Irish Stout the other was a coopers aussie Lager turned out great.so I want to progress with my hobby or is it way of life. :drink:

ha haa 40 pints will be enough for me............. so he says now.... :D

With a 33 litre pot you can easily do 19 litre brews and I've managed fine with mine. 23 litre brews need more care to avoid boil overs but its possible.
Its still a little messy especially if doing it in the kitchen as those splaches are very sticky.

A big improvement you can do is replace the tap if its a tea urn type boiler. they are very flimsy as it is.

piddledribble said:
ha haa 40 pints will be enough for me............. so he says now.... :D

I remember thinking 40 pints would be enough... now I wonder if 95 pints is enough :whistle:

I will be buying my boiler from the Malt Miller so I don't think I will have to worry about the tap, would you say the next size up would be better for 40 pints say the 50 ltr boiler ?.
I am not very good at DIY and would probably cost me a lot more depending on how many attempts I would have in making the equipment myself "some of us can and some of us can't but seeing as I have packed up the Fags I am £300 a month better off I think that will more than cover the cost.
what I am looking for now is the calor gas Butane/Propane that could be pricey cos I ain't got a bottle to exchange and refill. :thumb:

the 50 litre boiler with tap would be an excellent choice, add a little hose tail to the order ( easier to attach hose to ) and then order some good quality hose from Vossey on here.
If it was me I'd go electric and get an element hole cut into the pot, and fit a kettle element in it, but that's my preference.

Good luck with your choice

Well done on quiting smoking. :thumb: now that your lungs are healthier, you can start on the liver! :lol:

I'd agree with electric being an easier choice but that's just my opinion. Many like gas. I'd also go for the 50L it'll give you more room and enable you to do the 23L brews without fear of boilover.

Really there's so many ways to go and choosing one is very difficult because there is so much good advice given from experienced brewers on these forums each recommending there preferred method but if I don't make a choice soon I will never get the experience its just such a new venture that I will just have to bite the bullet and do it and learn from my mistakes not to many I hope enjoying the experience so far I have never read as much since I was at school .50 odd yrs ago :clap:

yep read all suggestions and then make your own mind up, armed with the knowledge.
You will not get every choice right. :D
But get the basics and you can upgrade as and when

brownsplit said:
I will be buying my boiler from the Malt Miller so I don't think I will have to worry about the tap, would you say the next size up would be better for 40 pints say the 50 ltr boiler ?.
I am not very good at DIY and would probably cost me a lot more depending on how many attempts I would have in making the equipment myself "some of us can and some of us can't but seeing as I have packed up the Fags I am £300 a month better off I think that will more than cover the cost.
what I am looking for now is the calor gas Butane/Propane that could be pricey cos I ain't got a bottle to exchange and refill. :thumb:

Where are you in the world? There are folk who would happily walk you through the DIY process.

Gas is OK, I do wonder if maybe, I should have gone gas, not electric, easier to clean the pot, less chance of a 'blow out' while boiling, some good 'cheap' ex military gas boilers out there with the fittings on them, no need to mess around trying to find seperate sockets to power each element either :D

Congrats on quitting, it does get easier, and easier, I've not had one for 9 years now :)

i use a 33l pot if i was buying again i would get a 40l pot and i also use the gas 7.5kw and it works a treat . i get the 13.5kg gas bottles and tht costs around £35 for a refill , £30 deposit for bottle. so around £5 a brew .(maybe less)

brownsplit said:
I have decided to go for a 33ltre SS boiler 40 pints will be plenty for me

Now, this feels all very familiar... :lol:

"5 gallon brews will be just fine, I can just get a 36l system..."

very quickly got amended to "well I do like the odd high ABV beer with a big grain bill so I'd need a big mashtun"

which in turn very quickly got amended to "well if I've got a big mashtun, I might as well have a big boiler so I have the options of single standard brews, single high ABV brews or a double sized standard brew if brewing with friends they could muck in and just take away a jerrycan of wort or if I really need to stock up I can just double brew for myself..."

I now have a 50l mashtun and a 70l boiler!!!

Just give in now - the price difference isn't *that* much... :rofl:

Seriously though, I would get yourself a slightly bigger boiler for 5 gallon brews. I'm BIABing at the moment until I finish building everything but the recipes in beersmith are all expecting pre-boil volumes at around 32-35l. I would say go 40l at least.

Latest posts

Back