General election

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which party will you vote for

• Labour

• Conservative

• Reform

• Green

• SNP

• Lib Dem

• Still on the fence.

• Plaid cymru

• Local Independant

Results are only viewable after voting.
Rachel Reeves has issued a damning assessment of the state of the UK’s finances.

The new chancellor of the exchequer said she was inheriting a depleted economy from the Conservatives that would create a “challenge” for the new Labour government.

“There’s not a huge amount of money there,” Ms Reeves told the BBC. “I know the scale of the challenge I inherit.”

Ms Reeves said she would lean on the private sector to cover the shortfall.

“Private-sector investment is the lifeblood of a successful economy. We need to unlock private-sector investment,” she said.

Despite Ms Reeves’ comments, the economy improved in the run-up to the election, growing by 0.7% between January and March, which was slightly more than initially estimated.

The upward revision meant the UK was the fastest growing economy in the G7 group of nations in the first three months of this year.

But, while the UK has emerged from the economic recession it entered in the final months of 2023, many households may not be feeling better off, with budgets having been stretched by rising prices in recent times.

Interest rates are currently at their highest level for 16 years at 5.25%, meaning people are paying more to borrow money for things such as mortgages and loans, although savers have also received better returns.

And the latest figures on the economy show it failed to grow in April after particularly wet weather put off shoppers and slowed down construction.

Ms Reeves said that reform of the planning system was "front and centre" of Labour's plan to grow the economy.

In order to build the 1.5 million homes and the energy infrastructure that Labour has committed to, "we need to change how our planning system works - speed it up, stop the bureaucracies that are tying up investments in red tape," she said.

“Stability is needed after the last 14 years - five prime ministers, seven chancellors, 12 different plans for growth, each delivering less than the last. But alongside stability, we need investment."

FULL ARTICLE HERE.

1720196912550.png

They said they have costed the first 12 months nothing on the next four, they have not as far as i am aware mentioned the national debt but as it says below "The most recent figure for May 2024 revealed interest on government debt was £8bn" and "If the government has to set aside more cash for paying its debts, it may mean it has less to spend on the public services which it borrowed to fund in the first place" this cannot go on unchecked.

How much money does the government pay in interest?

The larger the national debt gets, the more interest the government has to pay.

That extra cost was not as big when the interest rates due were low through the 2010s, but it is more noticeable now that interest rates have been rising.

Around a quarter of UK debt is index-linked, meaning payments are directly linked to the rate of inflation. Rising prices in the last two years have pushed up the bill for servicing debt significantly.

If the government has to set aside more cash for paying its debts, it may mean it has less to spend on the public services which it borrowed to fund in the first place.

The amount of interest the government pays on national debt fluctuates, and by one measure, hit a 20-year high in early October 2023.

The most significant figures tracking the cost of debt are published monthly by the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

According to this data, two months in 2022 saw record levels of money set aside for debt interest: £20.2bn in June and £18bn in December.

The most recent figure for May 2024 revealed interest on government debt was £8bn.
Yes that is the actual issue. Too few taxpayers and too many for them to support, between the increasing proportion of the elderly and the diminishing proportion of working age people who actually work and pay tax. Falling birth rates mean that things can only really get worse, not better.

I am 66 in September (Deo Volente) and get my first pension payment in October. Can't see much reason to stop working, as it alleviates boredom and they carry on giving me money. But I am representative of a small minority.

To return to the original point, the whole world economy is literally awash with sovereign debt and defaulting is so inevitable that looking even five years ahead seems speculative, to say the least. The UK is not likely to be first, but there is always the so-called "Domino Effect".

What he actually states is, 'we will be targeting Labour votes, we are coming for Labour' pretty normal election jargon what party doesn't try to convince voters to their way of thinking?
Reform has done remarkably well in the 6 weeks leading up to the election, and did better than the Lib Dems vote-wise, imagine what they will be like in 4 years.
The next set of GDP figures comes out at the end of the month, if they go up again things will get really interesting.

Reform has done remarkably well in the 6 weeks leading up to the election, and did better than the Lib Dems vote-wise, imagine what they will be like in 4 years.
I think that it wasn't in the 6 weeks leading up to the election, but when farage changed his mind again on June 4th I think,that their poll ratings went up.

I refer you to the point about facts made in another thread, (not allowed to mention the word).

I think that it wasn't in the 6 weeks leading up to the election, but when farage changed his mind again on June 4th I think,that their poll ratings went up.

I refer you to the point about facts made in another thread, (not allowed to mention the word).
Exactly, Farage could be in line to become the next prime minister at the next election.

Back