Festival Belgian Dubbel 'Kriek'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am a fan of the Belgian brown kriek beers such as Kasteel Rouge, Petrus Aged Red or Bacchus Kriek.
These are all based on a Belgian brown beer aged with cherries. So I thought I would attempt to make my own using the Festival Belgian Dubbel kit, with the addition of Cherry Puree, added during the fermenting process.
I have no idea how this is going to turn out but I am hoping it will be somewhere in the region of the real thing. Fingers crossed!
I also substituted the 500gms of supplied dextrose with 500gms of Muntons Dark spray malt to attempt to make the best possible outcome. Probaly shouldn't have and concentrated on just seeing if I can make this work.

So far I have made the brew to the instructed 18ltrs. Today was day 5 so I have added dry hops as per instructions and 2KG of the Funkin Morello Cherry puree. This has added aprox 2 Ltrs as you might expect. The ingredients of the puree states that 10% is added sugar and 90% is fruit.
The starting SG was 1.065, before adding the puree it was at 1.017. After adding it went back up to 1.025.
I have the FV in a brew fridge and for 2 days the Wort temp was 22deg but I lowered it down to 20 as I thought this may be a little too high. (First time i have used the brew fridge).

I am now thinking that about another week to get to FG and then cold crash for a couple of days before bottling.

Any thoughts or advice happily received. I am quite new to brewing and only done kits so far.

Attachments

• IMG_7611.jpg
    IMG_7611.jpg
    191.1 KB

Latest posts

Back