Conciderations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HubbleBubble

Reaction score
Hello, cider brewers.

Just done a 20 odd litre batch from my Discovery apples. First cider in 9 years.
Washed most of them but only wiped the first 50 or so (there were hundreds!).
Didn't sulphite. Wanted as natural cider as possible.
Was going to get some Bramley's to add a bit of a bite but left it too late and by the time I got up in the morning the stuff had already formed a brown hat in the fermentation bin.
3 days later no off tastes from out the botyom tap or vinegar aroma. Not sure how long before off tastes show their faces.
No bubbling through the air lock, although I know the hydrometer is the best judge of fermentation.
Should I throw in any extra yeast nutrient?
Was thinking of adding Malic Acid powder and a drop of black tea before racking/bottling with some organic unrefined golden sugar syrup.

Any comments welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why can't you add the bramleys? There's nothing wrong with adding more juice to already fermenting cider.
Why do you want to add malic acid?
I know people have great success with allowing natural yeasts to take hold, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I'd be inclined to add a sachet of cider or champagne yeast to energy 5-6 gallons.

Is the sugar or syrup at bottling time just for carbonation or for sweetening? If the latter, it won't work. It'll ferment and over carbonate or even burst the bottles.

What is the hydrometer telling you?

Why can't you add the bramleys? There's nothing wrong with adding more juice to already fermenting cider.
I know people have great success with allowing natural yeasts to take hold, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I'd be inclined to add a sachet of cider or champagne yeast to energy 5-6 gallons.

Is the sugar or syrup at bottling time just for carbonation or for sweetening? If the latter, it won't work. It'll ferment and over carbonate or even burst the bottles.
The syrup is for carbonation.
Unfortunately, going away for a week so can't do any more juicing....
I'll see how it's doing on my return and throw in some yeast if it's still really slow. Thanks.
What is the"brown hat"?

That could just be oxidation.

Add some yeast.

Tbh I really don't understand why yeast is unnatural, when golden syrup, malic acid and nutrient are all clearly OK?
Just wanted to let it do its own thing.
The sugar solution is just for carbonation in the bottles.

Should I throw in any extra yeast nutrient?
Was thinking of adding Malic Acid powder and a drop of black tea before racking/bottling with some organic unrefined golden sugar syrup.

Sorry. I come across this "yeast is unnatural"... "do it's own thing" cobblers in winemaking all the time. I shouldn't have replied my apologies. I didn't intend to offend.

The syrup is for carbonation.
Unfortunately, going away for a week so can't do any more juicing....
I'll see how it's doing on my return and throw in some yeast if it's still really slow. Thanks.

Just wanted to let it do its own thing.
The sugar solution is just for carbonation in the bottl
Its a term used in Fench cider--making.
https://cidrebayeux.com/bayeux-chapeau-brun
as opposed to the "white hat" chapeau blanc. It sounds as if more nutrient is needed unless the OP is attempting keeving.
Yes.. like the krausen in beer fermentation. The yeast head.
Will try some nutrient when I get back from being away and some yeast if things are still slow. Cheers!

Sorry. I come across this "yeast is unnatural"... "do it's own thing" cobblers in winemaking all the time. I shouldn't have replied my apologies. I didn't intend to offend.
No offence taken. I am open to all suggestions and thoughts on the matter.
Thank you all for your input and taking time to answer.
I'll post how things progress (hopefully!) :)

BTW, An Ankou, if I did add Bramley juice, would the yeast ferment that too or would it water it down now?

BTW, An Ankou, if I did add Bramley juice, would the yeast ferment that too or would it water it down now?
The yeast would ferment it happily. I do this all the time. Adding more juice to a fermenting batch is no problem at all and it allows you to do your pressing over a number of days or a number of weekends. Even if the apples have to hang around for a few weeks before getting pressed all that happens is that the apples get a bit sweeter.
Frankly, as a beer Brewer, I'm horrified and astonished by what I get away with when making cider: the apples are hardly sanitised, the pulp and the juice is left open to the elements between scratting and pressing (this gives it its rich colour) I don't add Campden tablets or SO2 as this prevents oxidation and colouring and more than one or two wasps or hornets find their way into the mix. I wouldn't dream of brewing beer like this! Cider yeast (I think it's the same as champagne yeast) must be very aggressive to all competing organisms.

Last edited:
The yeast would ferment it happily. I do this all the time. Adding more juice to a fermenting batch is no problem at all and it allows you to do your pressing over a number of days or a number of weekends. Even if the apples have to hang around for a few weeks before getting pressed all that happens is that the apples get a bit sweeter.
Frankly, as a beer Brewer, I'm horrified and astonished by what I get away with when making cider: the apples are hardly sanitised, the pulp and the juice is left open to the elements between scratting and pressing (thus gives it its rich colour) I don't add Campden tablets or SO2 as this prevents oxidation and colouring and more than one or two wasps or hornets find there way into the mix. I wouldn't dream of brewing beer like this! Cider yeast (I think it's the same as champagne yeast) must be very aggressive to all competing organisms.
Okay. Thanks for that :) I agree on the beer front!

Latest posts

Back