European Championship

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we are all putting Denmark down. Most of their players have won more top cups and leagues than Harry Kane, for instance.
There are champions league winners in there. Premier League winning goalkeeper. And so on.
If you'd offered me a draw, I would have certainly considered it.

I wasn't taking anything away from them but we definitely didn't play well tonight, i will stick by my earlier statement that if we had met one of the top teams tonight we would have lost.

I was actually in brussels in the crowne plaza hotel drinking , kriek, and god knows how many triples and a st. bernadus abt 12. oh my the breakfast buffet the next day was never more welcome to soak up the alcohol (still in my system 🤣 ) waffles, crispy bacon etc... gotta love belgium 😍
We went in to the nearest hotel we found close to the stadium, the bar was packed with Wales fans and the whole match was shown again on the tv while we drank a lot of beer. Travelling home the next day wasn't good!

I appreciate I am an eggchaser type , used to watch football loads when younger but fell out of love with it many years ago.

however this is my untrained eye thoughts with england and they are probably completley rubbish

1) after 25-30 mins, they look dead on their feet. Like seriously spent!!!, No energy at all
2) Looks like lots of square pegs and round holes, looks like players playing in positions or asked to play ways which do not suit them whatsoever.
3) This one may be harsh, my kids said Kane is really good and one of the best, but whenevr I see him play for England he always looks like a passenger to me... just moooches about hoping to get a toe on the end of it every so often.

) Looks like lots of square pegs and round holes, looks like players playing in positions or asked to play ways which do not suit them whatsoever
I agree and also think the problem is the players we have play well when they have players they are used to playing with around them they don't seem to have gelled as a team, they are saying Southgate will be out of a job if we don't win it I think that move should have been made a long time ago he shows no passion on the touchline he us not a motivator rather a demotivate.

I agree and also think the problem is the players we have play well when they have players they are used to playing with around them they don't seem to have gelled as a team, they are saying Southgate will be out of a job if we don't win it I think that move should have been made a long time ago he shows no passion on the touchline he us not a motivator rather a demotivate.
I don't understand this "Let's get Southgate out".

No, he doesn't play pretty football. But he gets results. He's the most successful manager since 1966 by a country mile.

It's weird. We all have these rose tinted glasses that we played really well under Venables, Capello, Sven even the lauded Bobby Robson.
We've always struggled in tournaments, but the England fans seem to have this expectation that we'll win it!

The best we'd previously done in the Euros since 1968 was 3rd in 1996. We were hosting it!
The Euros before the last, we were beaten by Iceland.

Football fans are fickle. I seem to remember the French once sacked their manager straight after winning the world cup 😄 😄 😄

No, he doesn't play pretty football. But he gets results. He's the most successful manager since 1966 by a country mile.
That may be the case but we don't know how successful we would have been with.a different manager

That may be the case but we don't know how successful we would have been with.a different manager
Grass is always greener isn't it.

I still wonder if Big Sam hadn't messed up the Fake Sheikh, we might not have had some success under him. At the very least, his teams play ghung ho like everyone wants us to play.

Seems to me, if we throw the ball forward, push up, play pretty football but leak goals, fans are happy.

It'll always be difficult for an England Manager though. They get the players together for 10 days a year and expect them to play together like they've known each other for years. And get along (which I'm told happens in Germany and France)

I listen to the Crouchy podcast and it's interesting to hear his experience of the England camp, where players stuck to their club cliques and rivalries, particularly when it came to Liverpool and Man U. When you look back at the so called "Golden Generation" back in 2006, look at it;

Liverpool -
Owen
Crouch
Gerrard

Chelsea -
Lampard
Terry
Cole

Man Utd -
Neville
Ferdinand
Beckham (although by then played for RM)
Rooney

And so on. There were also 3 Arsenal players in the Squad.

If those folk can't get along (and apparently, they didn't), then we wonder why they don't perform on the Football pitch?

Its plain and simple they are overpaid and think they are better than they are thats why the premier league is dominated by foreign players because they are better players ours get smoke blown up their ar$es which they believe.
If we are favourites to win the competition we should be beating Serbia by more than one and Denmark too.
Brian Clough best manager to not manage England and I am a Leeds fan now he would have sorted the pretentious tw^ts out - they would not play unless they were p[laying for glory and their country

Grass is always greener isn't it.

We will never know will we.

Do you disagree -

Keep watching through the irritating "take a brake to subscribe" message there is 3 parts -

Last edited:
The problem with Shearer is that he was a great player. Terrible manager.
His job is to criticise (and occasionally praise).

We're all great sofa managers apparently. We all know the best way to play, the best formation, who works well with who.

Realistically, we know nothing. None of us have seen the players train together. None of us have spent hours watching the way the opposition plays. We just rock up in front of the TV 5 minutes before the game starts and pretend to know everything.

Moaning about the National team is the English greatest National trait.

The Scots don't do it. They just drink more. The Welsh don't do it either. They just party.

English entitlement. We invented the game, so we should be the best at it. Other than the French, I can't think of a nation that slags off their own team so much.

You dont have to be a manager to know the performance last night was poor.

The Scots don't do it. They just drink more. The Welsh don't do it either. They just party.
That is because they know they have little chance of winning it so look at every game as possibly the last.

English entitlement. We invented the game, so we should be the best at it. Other than the French, I can't think of a nation that slags off their own team so much.
We have a squad of players who play in arguably the best league in the world the performance last night was poor if you dont agree i would suggest you may be in a minority of one.

So you dont rate Shearer lets hear what a former England captain has to say -

You dont have to be a manager to know the performance last night was poor.

That is because they know they have little chance of winning it so look at every game as possibly the last.

We have a squad of players who play in arguably the best league in the world the performance last night was poor if you dont agree i would suggest you may be in a minority of one.
I'm not saying England didn't play well, but I've also said that Denmark came with a game plan and executed it perfectly.
Why do people never give the benefit of the doubt to the other team? If we were Danish, we'd be sitting here saying that Denmark played amazingly and neutered one of the favourites.

But it's definitely a national sport to decry how rubbish England are. The entitlement is off the scale.

His job is to criticise (and occasionally praise).

We're all great sofa managers apparently. We all know the best way to play, the best formation, who works well with who.

Realistically, we know nothing. None of us have seen the players train together. None of us have spent hours watching the way the opposition plays. We just rock up in front of the TV 5 minutes before the game starts and pretend to know everything.

Moaning about the National team is the English greatest National trait.

Well I think I know a fair bit about football having played at a reasonably high amateur level against many professional players and how they train etc.
I have even played against the great Leeds United team of the mid seventies so I do consider myself no expert but more knowledgeable the most other armchair commentators, other players of Shearers standard should be listened to.
He may not be always right but he has a good insite into football and don't forget the ones who disagree with the pundits are usually armchair managers themselves.
You say Denmark came with a game plan which I believe you are correct in but we/England are deemed to be a cut above them and should have a game plan to break their play up too so that is deffo down to bad management either in the choice of players for that particular match(playing players who can combat their gameplan and not picking the best players helps)or just unable to get the best from the players at his disposal.
Southgate is not a motivator but too technical, Players play for people not systems

The entitlement is off the scale.
You call it entitlement the rest of us call it expectation as i said earlier -

Several of the reasons people fans are saying it was a poor performance are pointed out in my second video you say shearer was a terrible manager so basically doesn't know hat he is talking about do you have the same opinion of Stuart Pearce and do you agree or disagree with he points he makes in the video -

Last edited:
From what i saw we were disjointed from start to finish, there was one point were Arnold was holding his hands out as though begging for the ball, i have never seen him look so lost he was just ambling about in mid field, Southgate is not a good manager he may have a good record but comes across as drab and dull which cannot be good for the players or fans

If you want people to play like they do at club level you need to play them in position or as near as or they can become like a fish out of water and that is what Southgate has done on many occasions. His lack of motivational skills really stand out as and he tries to make up for that with system playing but that takes the club level flair away from many players and don't forget that is why they have been picked because of their club form

Back