Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's ok for planners to say all new builds must have solar and storage, it's the numptys you need to worry about the ones who think it is ok to have 10 plug extentions all over the house
But I've seen this on so called eco estates.
Each house has 2 panels (800w max) and a piddly little battery just so the builder can tick the box for the lowest possible cost.

It's ok for planners to say all new builds must have solar and storage, it's the numptys you need to worry about the ones who think it is ok to have 10 plug extentions all over the house
Hey, I resemble that remark!

However I do carefully add up the total wattage and ensure it never exceeds 10amps.
I have an 8 gang extension in my office that powers my pc, 3 monitors, usb dock, speakers, back up NAS drive and laptop dock. If everything pulls full power it comes to 1200w, so plenty of headroom.
Similar situation in my living room for my fish tank, but that's a 6 gang socket.
And I am good and they are both fused with built in surge protection and RCD thingy.

But I get what you mean

As for new builds, it should be minimum spec of 4kw solar for any semi or detached house with minimum of 6kw battery and maybe a bit smaller for terraced. It's easy enough to write in to building regs for all councils to adopt and mandate.

Flats is a different matter, as that's more difficult to legislate for, but you could easily say x% of roof space and battery that's 2x solar output and have it wired in to the building primary junction.

it's the numptys you need to worry about the ones who think it is ok to have 10 plug extentions all over the house

We do use them but we checked to make sure they are no where near overloaded.

Try your set up here -
https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guidance/safety-around-the-home/overloading-sockets/

1727724581703.png

Latest posts

Back