Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m in 6 months with a lease car. Gone from £340/month in diesel to £320/month for a lease car and £0 spent so far on charging thanks to solar at home and free charge at work. Insurance included. Servicing included. Tyres included. 👍
Sounds like you got a very good deal 👌leases were all really expensive when I renewed in January, I ended up paying more than my last deal, got a lower specced car and it is still a petrol ☹️ there are also other reasons why electric was not right for me at the minute, mainly that I could do with some work on my drive so that it is actually usable 🙄

good to hear that people are saving money riding the government subsidies....

but yet another flaw in government thinking is that this subsidy will be unsustainably expensive as take up increases. It will be interesting how governments replace the lost fuel duty as more electric cars are sold. I very much doubt they will be able to break their habit of taxing the motorist.

It will be interesting how governments replace the lost fuel duty as more electric cars are sold. I very much doubt they will be able to break their habit of taxing the motorist.
They cannot put the price of electric up as non EV drivers would be effected and if they put VED up for EV's there would be a huge backlash.

Yep Iceland has it good, but would you like to live on a bomb

We already do, we have Hesham and Sellafield nuclear power plants on our doorstep.

1695463680263.png
1695463853160 (1).png

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
good to hear that people are saving money riding the government subsidies....

but yet another flaw in government thinking is that this subsidy will be unsustainably expensive as take up increases. It will be interesting how governments replace the lost fuel duty as more electric cars are sold. I very much doubt they will be able to break their habit of taxing the motorist.

What subsidy?

What subsidy?
I can think of 3 things:
1 - the subsidy on the cost of new electric cars (£5k iirc).
2 - very generous tax arrangements to put electric cars through business
3 - the effective waiving of fuel duty when home charging.

2 and 3 might better be described as "incentives", but relative to the petrol alternative they represent a significant subsidy, and my key point is that this will be unsustainable once a majority of cars are electric - as the exchequer obviously needs the money.

They cannot put the price of electric up as non EV drivers would be effected and if they put VED up for EV's there would be a huge backlash.
Indeed ! seems like its not quite as simple as the utopia that the fanatics (for the avoidance of doubt I dont mean anyone here, but there are plenty out there) are implying electric cars represent. But there are 2 solutions to this:
1- govt will introduce per mile road charging to replace fuel duty. The fact that they say there are no plans for this is at best misleading as they obviously need to replace fuel duty revenue somehow. it is another example of the fact we are not being told the truth.
2 - i read a while ago there is now a reqt for all home chargers to have data transmitting capability. This could be a mechanism to charge an additional duty only on electricity used to recharge cars.

Why dont we use geothermal energy?

I agree. we should absolutley use everything we can get our hands on. A blend of power sources is the right answer.

I can think of 3 things:

2 and 3 might better be described as "incentives", but relative to the petrol alternative they represent a significant subsidy, and my key point is that this will be unsustainable once a majority of cars are electric - as the exchequer obviously needs the money

Since I certainly didn't get the £5k subsidy, and my car isn't through my business, then I can safely say that my car wasn't subsidised. 3 isn't a subsidy.

1- govt will introduce per mile road charging to replace fuel duty. The fact that they say there are no plans for this is at best misleading as they obviously need to replace fuel duty revenue somehow. it is another example of the fact we are not being told the truth

This is a certainty. Lost fuel duty revenue has to be recouped somehow.

- govt will introduce per mile road charging to replace fuel duty. The fact that they say there are no plans for this is at best misleading as they obviously need to replace fuel duty revenue somehow. it is another example of the fact we are not being told the truth.
I am hoping we have a new government in place that will stop punishing the people, its obscene that the power companies make 1.74 billion when people are struggling to heat their homes in winter., why should people who have paid extra to change their cars to help save the planet and get the benefit of cheaper travel be hit again when these firms are making so much money.

Britain’s energy suppliers are set to rake in a massive £1.74bn in profits from hard-pressed customers’ bills over the next 12 months, according to a shock new report.

I can think of 3 things:

2 and 3 might better be described as "incentives", but relative to the petrol alternative they represent a significant subsidy, and my key point is that this will be unsustainable once a majority of cars are electric - as the exchequer obviously needs the money.

Indeed ! seems like its not quite as simple as the utopia that the fanatics (for the avoidance of doubt I dont mean anyone here, but there are plenty out there) are implying electric cars represent. But there are 2 solutions to this:
1- govt will introduce per mile road charging to replace fuel duty. The fact that they say there are no plans for this is at best misleading as they obviously need to replace fuel duty revenue somehow. it is another example of the fact we are not being told the truth.
2 - i read a while ago there is now a reqt for all home chargers to have data transmitting capability. This could be a mechanism to charge an additional duty only on electricity used to recharge cars.

I agree. we should absolutley use everything we can get our hands on. A blend of power sources is the right answer.
The £5k on new cars was stopped around 18 months ago, I was looking at ordering an electric car at the time but it jumped in price massively overnight ☹️

my bad, i nearly checked it was still in place before the original post but then didnt. Turns out there are still subsidies available but for a reduced selection of vehicles (and home charging points). Info here:

https://www.gov.uk/plug-in-vehicle-grants
I guess the big point is that the subsidies are narrowing, and will continue to do so as take up increases.

This is a certainty. Lost fuel duty revenue has to be recouped somehow.
Unless they have cameras everywhere - very expensive - or we are mandated to fit a box to our cars, - also expensive - the only way is the odometer at mot time with a pay as you drive..... I suppose fuel duty plus smartchargers to charge you extra for when your are drawing a lot of juice - therefore (possibly incorrectly you must be charging an ev) - may be ev's will end up paying more for ved to make up for lost fuel duty if they can't put something on for charging at home.

clearly it's not going to be easy or straightforward.

Just been looking at used Honda Es that came out a few years ago, as I've always had hatchbacks. Down from almost £40k when they were new a few years ago to around £13k now with minimal miles. Tempting at that price, but I have to wonder why the used prices are so low 🤷

Just been looking at used Honda Es that came out a few years ago, as I've always had hatchbacks. Down from almost £40k when they were new a few years ago to around £13k now with minimal miles. Tempting at that price, but I have to wonder why the used prices are so low 🤷

Who knows. There’s a lot of negative press about EVs, possibly most of it is just bad press (who likes a good story!). It’s a new technology that many are afraid of. Arrange a test drive, do your research. it might work out well for you.

Cars - EVs or otherwise - typically depreciate about 30% in the first year, so like you I would want to know more why they are so cheap

Tempting at that price, but I have to wonder why the used prices are so low 🤷
Nissan leaf is I believe 7 years old there are plenty of used Ev's around so the price is bound to drop, people are also still worried about battery longevity, charging if you don't have off street parking or do a lot of miles daily, so it's going to be more difficult to sell a used model so they have to price them to attract buyers.

Latest posts

Back